- Awesome Music: Yuki Kajiura delivers yet again.
- Complete Monster: Friday Monday is the founder and leader of the Enfant organization and one of the few Gift users. Believing that morality is nothing more than human's mask to hide its desire for war, Monday actively tries to bring out their "true nature". In 1999, with the power of the Holy Books and the Gift, he initiated a ritual to brainwash the entire humanity to start global warfare. It caused a nearby plane to crash, leaving only two survivors. After his attempt was foiled by Richard Burton, Monday retaliated by mind-controlling him into trying to murder Margaret, his own daughter, who was forced to kill him. As Gazth-Sonika was the only country affected by the ritual, Friday Monday is the one who started the civil-war and prolonged it for twelve years through all kinds of meanssuch as political corruption, murder, and forced identity amnesia, among others—making him responsible for all the deaths that happened in the series. Finally, after he eventually found the two Holy Books he lost, Monday kidnapped and mind-controlled Margaret into help him to get in the Sanctuary to finish the ritual he started twelve years ago. A self-righteous nihilist, Friday Monday is the only character who has never shown a single redeeming quality.
- Die for Our Ship: Limelda, for the Madlax/Vanessa shippers. And Vanessa, for Madlax/Limelda shippers... oh, wait.
- Foe Yay: Limelda vs. Madlax. Limelda even goes as far as to say "I love you, Madlax." during Episode 20 when she's about to snipe Madlax.
- Les Yay: Plenty as the series goes on, most noticeably between Vanessa and Madlax (and to a lesser extent, Elenore). Limelda's obsession with Madlax also borders on Foe Yay.
- Madlax sees herself as the Prince Charming that's supposed to protect the Princess (who's Vanessa in this case) during Episode 12.
- When Elenore reveals that she's accompanying Margaret to Gazth-Sonika in Episode 17, Margaret smiles and says "I love you." to Elenore. The word Margaret uses here is daisuki which is a very strong word in Japanese for liking someone in that way.
- Moe: Madlax oh so much.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: Actually, it was, if you count alcohol as a drug. The director came up with many of the plot twists while drunk. Surprisingly, they still make sense if you watch it while sober.
- The Woobie: Most of the main characters.
YMMV / Madlax