Moreover, reading the creator's comments with this in mind may lead to the conclusion that all the prominent characters in the show (the "Gatekeepers") are fragments of Margaret's psyche, from which she had to piece her personal identity together. Moreover, it can be assumed that every character in the show is a piece of Margaret; hence, the "broken pieces" motif scattered all over the series from the opening theme to the final episode's title.
Going further with the theory, it is possible that every character who died in the series didn't - they just merged with Margaret's psyche. That would make Vanessa, Elenore, and Carrossea's deaths and Limelda's survival less bitter for some. On the other hand, it would suggest that Friday Monday didn't die, either — a disturbing notion if you think about it. It would also raise a major question of the metaphysics behind Margaret, Madlax, and Laetitia's assumed unity; but answering it (for example, by assuming that the latter two are two different persons or personas whose psyches were mushed up with Margaret's to help her snap out of it) would lead us too deep into the Epileptic Forest.
- There's no such thing as too deep into that forest! Someone lead the way!
As for the back-story — the state of Margaret's mind described above may be a result of traumatic events (possibly involving patricide) that shattered it into little smithereens and left her in catatonia "in the real world", whatever that may be. The final shots of the last episodes may have been her last moments before awakening. Or maybe she decided to stay in the imaginary world, literally allowing her fragments who, she thought, deserved a real life to live to the fullest.
This would explain why Madlax was okay with hitting the road with Limelda: she knew that Margaret could and presumably did resurrect the people Limelda killed, including Madlax's love interest.
- This seems to be confirmed by some of the finale commentary.
- But it raises the question of why Madlax didn't get to see Vanessa then.
- Likely, Margaret put them back in Nafrece. If true, then this would be something of a Reset Button, though Madlax probably would visit her eventually.
- Contrasting theory to the above, that the three remain dead at the end of the series. Margaret uses the gift/wish to end the war in Gazth-Sonika, retain Madlax and Laetitia as two separate beings instead of rejoining Margarete's persona. Madlax goes with Limelda despite Limelda killing Vanessa because Limelda is much more of love interest instead of Vanessa as speculated. In addition it's pretty clear Vanessa has found peace which is why Madlax is at ease with her death.
- Plus, both of them have and use an embrace of Appeal to Nature that's both cosmetically appealing and maddeningly inconsistent at its heart. They go different directions with it, though; thus, Friday Monday doesn't have a university seat and feels an intense need to be an Evil Overlord. (Whereas Dawkins merely feels an intense need to try to convert people to atheism. These two needs may be conflated a little in Kouichi Mashimo's head.)
- Enfant is clearly a Patriot façade.
- The Patriots are obviously an Enfant front.
- Hail Eris!
- Occult books in ancient scripts that predate all known human civilizations;
- Languages, mere sounds of which turn people into raving Omnicidal Maniacs;
- Hidden dimensions with non-Euclidian geometries;
- Mild forms of Body Horror (what happened to Margaret and Carrossea, if you think about it);
Come think of it, the interior of the Sanctuary looks a bit like Yog-Sothoth. Plus, he is both the Key and the Gate... OH SHI--
Margaret herself would probably have been a True Noir candidate; but due to the incident in Gazth-Sonika, the Soldats deemed that it might be best to simply observe her. Or, alternatively, they decided it was a lost cause due to her memory loss.
The mooks from episode 11 weren't actually members of Enfant; but were instead working for the Soldats. They wanted information on Enfant; either so they could take them down, or so they could hijack their plan. The reason they didn't make a move after that is because they were short on mooks courtesy of Mirielle and Kirika.
For added crossover fun, we could say that everyone with The Gift is actually a witch.