Jerkcity is a Long Runner of a webcomic, starting in August 17, 1998 with strips coming out almost every day after that. It follows the adventures of Pants the "christmas tree monster", Spigot the beatnik, Deuce the tiki, and Rands the alien, who serves as the Author Avatar. The story is inconsistent, but the four (plus some other minor characters) are almost always Having a Gay Old Time.
In 2018, Jerkcity was renamed Bonequest.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Syntax: "Wanna Pounda Dope?" Spigot soon realizes he's the dope.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Space Nuts appears to center around three all-new characters: "Sparky" the rabbit, the uncredited Korean man (known now as Private Jim), and a man simply called Captain.
- Beatnik: The way Spigot dresses, though nowhere near the way he acts. However, he does sometimes recite poems.
- Broken Record: Home On The Range.
- Censor Box: More often used to redact dialogue as though the comic were a sensitive document, but sometimes used in the more traditional way, over a character's crotch. Sometimes in an upward diagonal. It has also been used to obscure characters' eyes, including Pants, whose nine eyes were individually covered.
- Dada Comic: The comic often has intentional production errors that make the dialogue illegible. It also has some pages that are not comics at all.
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: Yeah...pretty much every strip.
- Medium Awareness: Often the characters are aware that they are in a comic, excepting Pants, who has more trouble recognizing that he isn't real. Atandt attempts to point this out by reading his thoughts.
- No Fourth Wall: This strip has Rands point out a real bug in OpenBSD to a real person.
- Noodle Incident: Nearly every comic is an In Medias Res situation with zero context.
- Only Sane Man: Hanford acts as stage manager for the strip, and often has to tell the others things that should be obvious.
- Platonic Prostitution: Pants and Spigot get whores to do chores.
- Queer People Are Funny: The creators have said that the strip is a satire of this sort of humour.
- Show Within a Show: Spigot sits down to watch Space Nuts and the next few strips take place within the show.
- We Wait: Pants says this after seeking help from the dick cache god.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: The obviously intended reader reaction to the Kinder Gentler Deuce storyline (starting here and featuring at least once every two strips).