"What if Frankenstein's Creature lived on to become the infamous Phantom of the Opera?"
Fantome-Stein is a Web Comic by Beka Duke that grew from a fun Gothic literature Wild Mass Guessing session to a full-blown story.* It is currently hosted on Tumblr and updates every Friday.
It can be read here.
Fantome-Stein includes examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Madame Giry plays this to the Phantom in a Q and A response. Also applies to the Phantom's feelings for Christine, although his goals are more platonic.
- Adaptation Name Change: Count Phillipe de Chagny keeps his name, but has the spelling changed to Philip.
- Aloof Older Brother: Philip does not dote on Raoul in this version, but instead treats him rather coldly.
- Blind With Out Em: Christine can still get around without her glasses alright, but it's been stated that she's very nearsighted, to the point that the Phantom feels she's not getting the full impact of his visage and forces her to touch his face to drive home his deformity after she unmasks him.
- Cloudcuckoo Lander: Madame Giry, seemingly even more so than in the original novel.
- Canon Welding: Although the story is mostly based off of the respective novels, Christine being a part of the ballet corps is taken from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.
- Characterization Marches On: The characters have changed a lot since their conception.
- Crossover: Between Frankenstein and ThePhantomOfTheOpera.
- I Have Many Names: The Phantom currently goes by Erik, as in the original novel, but has had at least two other aliases in the past.
- Lighter and Fluffier: The Phantom is less murderous and insane than in the original book, and is implied to have killed less people.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Daddy and Mama Daaé, a Swedish man and a Sami woman, faced discrimination for their relationship according to Word of God.
- Race Lift:
- This version's Raoul is Ambiguously Brown. He's referred to as 'half-caste' which was a derogatory name for mixed race people.
- Christine is half-sami, although it technically may not count as her mixed ancestry is canon compliant.
- Reused Character Design: The Phantom's facial shape design is very similar to one the author had been developing for Hades.
- Stalker Without a Crush: The Phantom.