dream* scar is a Webcomic set in a post-modern, alternate reality where creatures of myth and lore (vampires, werewolves, dragons etc.), have started living openly amongst humans. The change has not been easy for humanity, or for the now dubbed 'Unhumans' in the wake of rampant prejudice and racism. However, amidst a world struggling to cope is seventeen year old Victoria, aka Vix or Vixie. A girl who knows she is an unhuman, but luckily, she has powers that are completely unnoticeable; until an incident at school leaves people dead...
On indefinite hiatus. A backup can be found here
Tropes found in this work:
- A Friend in Need: Despite the fact that she's (not intentionally) responsible for four classmates' deaths Jo accepts Vix with open arms even as the police are looking for the latter.
- all lowercase letters: The author says "[the title] just looks more appealing" in lowercase
- Cute Monster Girl: Pretty much any female Unhuman shown so far.
- Dhampyr: Vix.note
- Dreaming of Things to Come / Dream Intro: The first three pages show one of Vix's dreams, which later comes true in just the first chapter.
- The Empath: Victoria is a variant of this.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Vix's ex-boyfriend, who's not only angry because she killed his little brother but was turned into a vampire by someone from Kou's past.
- Foster Kid: Vix at the inn. Except she learns Lysander and Ariana are her ''biological'' parents. Much angst ensues.
- Fantastic Racism: Seems to be one of the main plot points, and the reason Vix hides her abilities as an empath.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Vix, Kou, Arianna, while mostly human, has some phoenix in her.
- Horny Devils: Succubi and incubi, of course.
- Identical Stranger: Vix's Dream Twin. Possibly.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty: Kou, Rylie, Lysander and other unhumans with long life spans look unnaturally young for their years.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: The literal version, seeing as Vix is a dhampyr.
- Jerkass: Lysander, and how. He calls his daughter a bitch after meeting her for the first time!
- Oblivious Adoption: Victoria was never told that she was adopted, but resolves that she always had a feeling that she was different from her family.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Kou, clearly trying to sound British, asks for an aubergine banger bap exactly once before dropping the pretence entirely.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Subverted and sort of played straight - Victoria knows she's not an ordinary human, but as far as she knows she's just an empath and ordinary enough. This immediately turns out not to be the case.
- Our Demons Are Different: It is implied that there are other types, but Succubi/Incubi are the only ones mentioned so far. They don't seem to work for any higher power, and they don't seem particularly evil, so the name 'demon' might be for lack of a better term than actual servants of hell.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Not much is known about them so far, except that there were two kinds of dragons in the past, ones who could fly and ones who couldn't, being wingless. The fliers were hunted to extinction by the humans at some point in the past due to their inability to adapt.
- However, flightlessness of the remaining dragons won't keep them from kicking ass, since in a world with vampires, werewolves, demons, etc. they apparently always come out on top.
- Our Vampires Are Different: While many traditional vampire weaknesses apply (sunlight, holy objects, fire), staking them in the heart is not fatal or even debilitating. It is also mentioned that there is more than one type of vampire. Kou being an example in that sunlight does not automatically kill him, and he is resistant to most other kinds of vampire weaknesses, but he is also not as powerful as a 'normal' vampire. They also are not monsters out for blood but seem like more or less normal people... with super powers and weird dietary habits.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: While werewolves are sometimes forced to turn by the full moon, some have the ability to shapeshift at will and skills range based on age and individual abilities. It is implied that Arliss has exceptional control over her lycanthropy.
- Parental Abandonment: Vix gets a double dose when her adoptive mother sends her back to her biological parents, even after she learns her original adoption was a Give Him a Normal Life situation intended to hide her from serious threats to her life. Naturally she rebels when her biological mother tries to assert parental authority.
- Rescue Romance: If the author's 10,000 shipping pictures are any indication, Vix and Kou are going to be this.
- Note however, the author has declared most of these pictures non-canon and has also paired these characters with others in recent pictures.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Seth and Jo are this kind of couple.