Starting with the first video, viewers were given cryptic codes that, when cracked, led to more videos, mysteries, and answers. As the series and investigations continued, it started to become clear that whatever was creating the videos was not entirely human, and was definitely not in safe conditions...
Watch the videos here.
Tropes found in this series:
- Alternate Reality Game: Viewers had to solve numerous puzzles in order to receive new videos and make progress in the story, such as binary strings and Caesar ciphers.
- Artificial Intelligence: The messages appear to be coming from a sentient machine, trapped in a research station under the sea, called Research Station Nocturne. Later videos indicate that said machine is based off of a Brain/Computer Interface with human subjects.
- Apocalyptic Log: Two videos contain audio of someone besides the machine talking, one of which involves them desperately calling for help as the station floods.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In one video, an image of what appears to be a child's bed or cradle appears for only a second, before the video continues on.
- Festering Fungus: Whatever is still surviving down at Research Station Nocturne is implied to be fungal and hostile in nature, if the Magnum Unionis orientation video is of any indication.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Whatever it is behind the channel is alive, but wants desperately to die. It tells Helen in a video that it wants to be killed. In a later video, it tells the viewer to "SHUT DOWN ME".Helen why won't you respond I want to die
- Private Military Contractor: Magnum Unionis. They are attempting to reclaim Research Station Nocturne with teams of scientists and armed personnel.
- The Reveal: In an unlisted video, Helen is revealed to be a supercomputer known as the Hyperlinked Electronic Linear Entity Network, and it's connected to four other computers, including the NOC+10 computer.
- Transferable Memory: The machine behind the channel is noted as "assimilating" dead bodies in the research station as part of a top-secret project, part of which appears to be the transferring of memories into the machine, with grainy footage of children shown in certain videos.
- Under the Sea: When coordinates are given, they reveal that the videos are being broadcast from within the Mariana Trench, revealing this series to be the result of experiments in an undersea laboratory.
- Underwater Base: Research Station Nocturne, which was conducting research in artificial intelligence before shit went down and the station got flooded.