Voodont is an online animated short Deanna Werthauer, which was written as a thesis film at SVA in 2017 which can be found here.
The plot of the short involves a girl named Sam making a Voodoo Doll of a girl she hates by the name of Ellie. Unknown to her, the doll comes to life and attempts to warn Ellie of what Sam is planning for her.
In her efforts to do so, the doll ends up in situations that end up causing Ellie to suffer.
This short provides examples of:
- All for Nothing: Despite her best efforts to warn Ellie, the doll is simply shoved away. This results in the doll opting to intentionally cause her harm.
- Alpha Bitch: Implied with Ellie. Although she doesn't do anything horrible on-screen, her reaction to the doll and the way she talks about Sam who wish harm on her indicates she has a habit of bullying Sam.
- An Arm and a Leg: Thanks to the doll ripping its own arm off, Ellie ends up losing hers offscreen.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Ellie turns out not to be as nice as the doll believes. The first thing she does upon seeing the doll is swat it away and insult it and Sam.
- Butt-Monkey: Both Ellie and the doll end up being put in some painful situations.
- Chromosome Casting: All the characters appearing are female. With the possible exception of the dog.
- Evil Laugh: Sam lets one out at the end when the doll rips its own arm off and Ellie can be heard screaming in pain.
- FaceHeel Turn: At the end of the short, the Ellie doll becomes willing to harm Ellie and please her creator. Could possibly be considered a HeelFace Turn if one considers how Ellie acts after seeing the doll.
- Feel No Pain: The doll doesn't feel any pain from the things it endures. Ellie however, feels everything that the doll goes through.
- Gory Discretion Shot: At the beginning of the short, Sam gets ready to cut the doll's arm off in order to cut Ellie's off. By the end, the doll rips her own arm off, and Ellie is heard off-screen screaming in pain, implying that her arm came off.
- Jerkass: Considering Sam was so willing to dismember Ellie at the beginning, she can be seen as such. After the doll finds Ellie to be just as harsh, she is willing to cooperate with Sam.
- Living Toys: After the doll gets a potion spilt all over her, she comes to life and quickly realizes what she was made for.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Ellie treats the cut at the beginning like a big deal. Even after her friend bandages it up, she cries that it hurts. Her later injuries end up having much more reasonable reactions.
- Mouth Stitched Shut: The doll was made this way. When she gets ready to speak to Ellie, she removes the stitches to do so.
- No Name Given: Ellie's friend is never given a name in the short.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Sam doesn't seem too surprised when she finds the doll and discovers that it's come to life, just feeling awkward about how to talk to it.
- Voodoo Doll: The doll of Ellie was essentially made to be one by Sam in an effort to harm Ellie from a distance. The doll itself knows this which is why it attempts to warn Ellie at first, and then rip its own arm off to get back at Ellie.