The Simpsons Skateboarding is a skateboarding video game based on the animated sitcom, The Simpsons that was released for the PlayStation 2 in North America on November 13, 2002. The game was developed by the The Code Monkeys and published by Fox Interactive and Electronic Arts. The story and dialogue were crafted by writers from The Simpsons, with all character voices supplied by the actual cast.
In the game, Springfield has been converted into a skate park for the Annual Skate Tour, full with skate-able objects and landmarks from the television series. Players are able to choose one of the nine characters available to compete for the grand prize. All of the characters' voices were recorded by the actual voice actors from The Simpsons.
Each character has over forty unique moves. Players can test their skills in either a two-player head-to-head skate off or in one of the fast and furious modes: Freeskate, Skate Fest, Trick Contest, and a game of skateboard H-O-R-S-E. Players can unlock additional characters, locations, and skateboards and can also choose to learn all the skateboard moves and tricks before they begin the actual game in the Skillz School mode.
The game received negative reviews from video game critics due to poor graphics, sound, and music, lack of skateboarding tricks, poor controls, and bad in-game dialogue.
The Simpsons Skateboarding contains the following tropes:
- Acrofatic: Homer and Chief Wiggum are both overweight, yet neither of them have any trouble skateboarding.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Each character has an alternate costume only obtainable via cheats: Homer only wears his underwear, Krusty wears a tuxedo, Nelson wears a ballerina outfit, etc...
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: For some reason, the Skate Fest and two-player variants of the Springfield Gorge contain colorful rails that give the skater a tint of that color when grinding on them.
- Fake Difficulty: When the controls of a game are poorly implemented, this trope occurs.
- Hollywood Acid: The Acid Bath section of Itchy and Scratchy Land is a mini-skate park over a pool of green liquid. Falling into this counts as a regular bail.
- Licensed Game: This game is based on The Simpsons franchise.
- Secret Character: Otto, Nelson, Krusty, Professor Frink and Chief Wiggum are unlocked by beating certain scores in the Skate Fest mode.