The Purple Coin is a Super Mario Bros. fangame created by Miles/Miles3298 in 2012. You play as an apparently sapient purple coin who has to avoid the legions of inexplicable Mario and Luigi clones (dubbed "bros"). Why? Well, apparently, you're extremely valuable, likely due to being the last of your kind.
However, you have the strange ability to hide and possess the bros when they come near. You can also summon Batbro, a superhero who is definitely not Luigi in a Batman costume. Can you use these powers to successfully evade the bros?
Hey, the tropes invaded that page!:
- Author Appeal: Miles loves rainbows a lot. This is why one of the levels is colorful to the point of possibly lagging the game.
- Composite Character: Batbro, of Luigi and Batman.
- Demonic Possession: A major game mechanic is that the coin can invade the bros and control them.
- Endless Game
- Identical Stranger: One possible explanation of the bros.
- No Fair Cheating: Attempting to directly edit the save file to unlock everything early will result in the save file being reset. You have to type certain codes into the name entry screen in order to properly unlock them.
- Paranoia Fuel: A gameplay modifier called "Paranoia Mode" allows this to happen In-Universe, with the bros mistaking purple-colored bros for possessed bros.
- Throw the Mook at Them: A possessed bro can send others flying via various moves and hit any unfortunate bro who happens to stand in their way. The normal versions can do this, too.
- Unfriendly Fire: The bros on-screen will attack whoever injures one of their own, even if the attacker is a normal bro. You can probably expect what will happen when a lot of them are nearby.