Red Ash: The Indelible Legend is a pseudo-sequel and spinoff of Mighty No. 9, developed by Comcept and created by Keiji Inafune as a spiritual counterpart to the Mega Man Legends series. Like its predecessor, Red Ash was slated to be funded via Kickstarter. Unlike the overwhelmingly positive reaction to Mighty No. 9's crowdfunding campaign, however, Red Ash was met with a mixed - bordering on outright negative - reception for a number of reasons. In July 2015, Chinese company FUZE Entertainment was announced as the publisher and primary funding source for Red Ash, and the funds raised by Kickstarter were stated to be going towards expanding the scope of the game. This led to a backlash, with many Kickstarter backers pulling out, and the project's future was uncertain.
At the end of it all, the Kickstarter failed to meet its original projections after getting only $519,999 out of the $800,000 it had previously asked for. While the aforementioned partnership with FUZE meant the project would supposedly keep going, nothing has been heard since.
In 2017, the project saw its Animated Adaptation finally realized in the form of Red Ash: Gearworld,note which premiered as part of the Anime Tamago 2017 shorts lineup. This single episode was since pulled and is now difficult to find.
Red Ash is set in a post-apocalyptic universe and stars alternate versions of Beck and Call, who salvage parts of giant robots for a living.
Red Ash features these tropes:
- Alternate Universe: Much like Mega Man Legends, Red Ash stars alternate versions of the characters from Mighty No. 9.
- Artificial Limbs: This Beck has an artificial left arm that can work as a lot of things, including an Arm Cannon. The entire lower half of Tyger's body is artificial.
- Bare Your Midriff: Call.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Call has blonde hair and dark skin. It's likely a tan, however, as sketches of the prequel anime depict her with pale skin.
- Expy: Beck is an expy of Mega Man Volnutt, Call is an expy of Roll Caskett, and Tyger pretty much is Tiesel Bonne. The very concept of Red Ash is an expy of Mega Man Legends.
- Red Is Heroic: Beck wears a red and black uniform.
- Scavenger World: Red Ash takes place in a post-apocalyptic universe where people salvage parts from giant robots.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: This anonymous character◊ (who's most likely an expy of Tron Bonne) has this going.
- Stealth Pun: It has been theorized that the name "Red Ash" is this; combining the words we get RedAsh, or ReDASH, as in a redoing of Rockman DASH.