One night, a little girl is woken up from her sleep by her doll, who warns her that a monster is coming to take her away. While the girl feels like she is in a dream, it all feels surprisingly real.
With no other options, the girl grabs her flashlight and gets ready for the long night ahead of fending off whatever horror has come for her.
Boogeyman 2 contains examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: On the second night, the door opens. At first you think it's the Boogeyman, but it turns out to be your dog.
- Bittersweet Ending: You survive against the Boogeyman, but it's hinted that he got to your brother.
- Bogeyman: Just like the original, the antagonist of the game is the boogeyman.
- Comeback Mechanic: While in the first game, you had to check under your bed for more batteries (which was dangerous, since there was a chance the boogeyman would be there), in this one, if your flashlight runs out of juice, you can place the batteries in the charger beside the bed.
- Controllable Helplessness: No light? Best hope you're close to dawn, otherwise you're the Boogeyman's.
- Creepy Doll: The girl's doll just sits in its perpetually rocking chair, and every night warns you of the boogeyman.
- Creepy Good: The doll is clearly on your side, otherwise it wouldn't bother to tell you about the danger that you're in each night.
- Creepy Long Fingers: The boogeyman sports them.
- Heroic Dog: Some nights, your dog will spend the night with you, and start barking to warn you when the boogeyman is close by.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: It's revealed that the Boogeyman can only attack on the week of Halloween.
- Immobile Player Character: Just like the last game, mostly. You can move around the room before you start the game proper.
- Jumpscare: Like the last game, this is how you die in the game.
- Kid Hero
- No Name Given: Unlike Thomas from the original, the protagonist of this game is never named.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Just like in the last game, the boogeyman can warp to any of the five entryways in the house at any time.
- Pink Is Feminine: The walls of the girl's room are pink.
- Sequel Escalation: The first game gave the boogeyman four ways to enter the Player Character's room. This game features a fifth, a small tent in one of the other corners.
- Ten-Second Flashlight: Just like the previous game, you need to be conservative with how long you leave your flashlight on to be able to survive the night.
- Weakened by the Light: Just like the last game, the boogeyman will immediately retreat when light is shined upon it.
- You Don't Look Like You: The Boogeyman looks a bit different from in the first game. For one thing, he's now wearing a trenchcoat, whereas before he was naked.