- Creator Cameo: Director Luke Greenfield is the man directing the porn movie towards the end.
- Dawson Casting: Averted. Emile Hirsch was actually seventeen and many of his nude scenes had to be done with doubles as a result. Chris Marquette and Paul Dano were borderline - at only nineteen years old.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Defied. Emile Hirsch was asked to shave his chest for his Shirtless Scenes. He refused because at seventeen he didn't want to shave off "my manhood".
- Enforced Method Acting: Timothy Olyphant's rings were scratching Emile Hirsch during the fight in the car, so he is in genuine pain.
- Star-Making Role: This shot Elisha Cuthbert to the map as a sex symbol in the 2000s. She already had some notoriety due to 24 but this really made people know who she was.
- Those Two Actors: Emile Hirsch, Chris Marquette and Olivia Wilde (who plays the small role of 'Kellie') would later go on to appear in Alpha Dog.
- Throw It In!: The cigar falling out of Emile Hirsch's mouth was unscripted, but so in character, so the director left it in.
- Tuckerization: The character Eli is based off Eli Roth, according to Word of God.
- Unintentional Period Piece: The bombshell that Danielle is actually a porn star gets dropped when Eli has to search around to find a film on video tape; ten years later a quick Google search could have told him as much. The movie they shoot in the climax is also distributed on VHS as opposed to DVD (or they could even distribute digitally).
- What Could Have Been: Kelly was nearly played by Matt Dillon. Timothy Olyphant passed on it twice before eventually accepting it.
Trivia / The Girl Next Door (2004)