- Acclaimed Flop: "Bug a Boo" is one of the group's lowest charting singles, but the video was one of the most popular on MTV and BET. It also was their first to get onto TRL's Top 10 countdown.
- Acting for Two: "Lose My Breath"'s video has three sets of the girls appearing.
- Breakup Breakout: Beyonce ended up becoming the breakout star, to the point where the group is commonly referred to as "Beyonce's old band". Kelly however ended up having a pretty good singles career too.
- Breakthrough Hit: "Bills, Bills, Bills" gave the group their first number one.
- Contractual Purity: There was some controversy over the general Hotter and Sexier direction music was taking in the late 90s and early 2000s, and Destiny's Child were slammed for "Bootylicious"'s video featuring some sexually suggestive dancing - as well as the girls wearing considerably more make-up and sexier clothes.
- Creator Backlash: Kelly Rowland dislikes "Bootylicious" because she has heard it too many times.
- Creator Couple: Jay-Z contributed to some of "Lose My Breath"'s lyrics.
- Jossed: It was rumored that "Jumpin Jumpin" had LaTavia and LeToya's vocals still on it, as "Say My Name" had (see below). But it is entirely Beyonce who sings the song.
- Name's the Same: With Destiny Child. It makes researching that game difficult to near impossible.
- No Export for You: The music video remix of "Survivor" featuring Da Brat was not released on any video compilation.
- The Pete Best: LaTavia Robertson and LeToya Luckett were part of the group for the first album but were fired and replaced for the second with Michelle Williams and Farrah Franklin (who soon left as well). The line-up of Beyonce, Kelly and Michelle is who most would associate with Destiny's Child.
- Pop Culture Urban Legends: There are conflicting stories about who wrote "Bootylicious" - Beyonce claiming she was inspired while on a flight, and also Rob Fusari claiming he wanted to sample Stevie Nicks's "Edge of Seventeen".
- Real-Life Relative: Beyonce's father was the band's manager and her mother was their costume designer. Her sister Solange occasionally contributed backing vocals and dancing.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The media kept comparing the group's constant member changes to the reality show Survivor. Thus Beyonce was inspired to write the song "Survivor" to "write us out of all that negativity."
- Reality Subtext: In "Soldier" Beyonce has a line where she sings about a man "from the BK". Jay-Z is from Brooklyn, and this was the first time she had ever acknowledged their relationship in her music.
- The Red Stapler: "Bootylicious" caused the word to enter the lexicon, and it eventually got added to the dictionary.
- Technology Marches On: "Bug-a-Boo" references pagers, MCI, and AOL, dating the song.
- What Could Have Been:
- "Say My Name" was originally written while LeToya and LaTavia were still in the group. Their vocals are still on the song, despite Farrah and Michelle being in the video. The former two didn't even know they'd been replaced until they saw the video.
- "Independent Women Part 1" was also recorded while Farrah was still in the group, but she had left by the time it was released as a single.
- "Lose My Breath"'s video got delayed when Beyonce tore her leg during rehearsals for it. The girls later called it a blessing in disguise, as the injury allowed them to properly prepare for the video.
Trivia / Destiny's Child