- Cast the Runner-Up: All the actresses cast auditioned for a different role; Erica Leerson was auditioning for Kim, Tristine Skyler was auditioning for Erica and Kim Director was going for Tristen. Jeffrey Donovan was also auditioning for Steven.
- Creator's Oddball: Joe Berlinger had only done documentaries beforehand. After this film, he has continued to do documentary.
- The Danza: All the characters - Kim, Jeff, Erica, Steven and Tristen — share the same first names as their actors. In the script they all had working names that would be changed upon casting — Kim was Domini, Jeff was Cotter, Steven was Nick, Tristen was Anna, and Erica was Heather.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Erica Leerson auditioned with short blonde hair. After she was cast, she had her hair dyed red and wore extensions to give the character Rapunzel Hair.
- Executive Meddling: The director wanted to make the film more psychological thriller exploring the relationship between media, fiction and reality that would also be a commentary on the media frenzy and fan community around the first film. The film would start out lighthearted, and slowly grow stranger and darker, with the end remaining vague about whether the main characters committed horrible acts due to actually being under the influence of the Blair Witch or if they lost touch with reality while getting too deep into the fiction. The studio initially liked this take, but upon seeing the director's first cut, they wanted to add more gore and violence earlier on in the film, which included scattering around some revealing scenes from the end, and adding a completely new scene where the characters massacre a group of foreigners visiting the site of the first film. To make the mood of the film darker, the studio also changed the soundtrack to hard rock.note Finally, that "Book of Shadows" in the title which is nowhere to be seen in the actual movie was added by the studio.
- Franchise Killer: A trilogy was planned. The second film performed so badly that the third film was scrapped until 2016.
- Tuckerization: Kim's last name Diamond is after heavy metal singer King Diamond.
- What Could Have Been:
- Haxan Films, who produced the first film, wanted to wait until the hype had diminished before working on a sequel. Artisan had the rights and produced it without them.
- The scenes of Jeff in a mental hospital were added at the request of the studio to make the audience think that Jeff would turn out to be the villain.
- The tour group that the protagonists bump into at Rustin Parr's house weren't slated to die in the original script. Their purpose was just to show the global obsession with the Blair Witch. Studio mandated re-shoots had them murdered to insert more traditional horror movie elements.
- Word of God: Joe Berlinger talks about the original cut of the film.
- Write What You Know: Joe Berlinger based each protagonist off real life reactions to the first film. Erica in particular was inspired by real-life Wiccans who were frustrated that the film showed their religion in a negative light.
Trivia / Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2