3-Nen B-Gumi Kinpachi-sensei (Mr. Kinpachi in Class 3B) is a long-running Japanese drama about a third-year middle school teacher named Kinpachi Sakamoto (played by former singer Takeda Tetsuya). The series began in October 1979 and ended in March 2011. There were a total of eight seasons.
Kinpachi is a sensitive but stern middle school teacher who often gets involved in the lives of his students. Kinpachi-sensei is known for discussing various issues including Teen Pregnancy, bullying, Abusive Parents, cancer, and suicide. It has a frank approach to discussing issues.
Kinpachi-sensei contains examples of:
- Animated Adaptation: The game 3-Nen B-Gumi Kinpachi-sensei: Densetsu no Kyoudan ni Tate! features animated cutscenes.
- Character Aged with the Actor: The show went on almost forty years featuring much of the same cast. Understandably, the characters aged with their actors.
- Psychologist Teacher: Kinpachi-sensei regularly helps out in his student's lives.
- Teacher/Student Romance: One-sided crushes on teachers occur from time to time.
- Transgender: Season 6 featured a character named Nao who was a closeted transgender boy.
- Very Special Episode: The series is essentially "Very Special Episode: The Show". Every season concerns at least one sort of social issue.