Bloodlands is a British TV drama produced by HTM Television and aired on BBC One. The first episode aired throughout the UK on February 21, 2021. In North America and other terriories, Acorn is the licensed distributor of the show. Chris Brandon is the creator of the show while it's directed by Pete Travis and Jed Mercutio served as the executive producer. It stars James Nesbitt, Charlene McKenna, Lorcan Cranitch, Peter Ballance and Lisa Dwan. It's scheduled to air four episodes.
Detective Chief Inspector Tom Brannick and Detective Sergeant Niamh McGovern of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) are tasked on work on a case involving a missing person when a SUV is fished out of the waters of County Down. The PSNI learns that the victim is ex-PIRA leader turned businessman Pat Keenan, who was supposedly kidnapped by a covert assassin named Goliath. Tom, along with a few officers in the former Royal Ulster Contabulary, were secretly told that Goliath may be a Killer Cop working for the powers that may be after the Good Friday Agreement became official in 1998, kidnapping people who were known to be active in the Troubles. Among those alledgly kidapped or killed by Goliath included Tom's wife, Emma, who was involved in intelligence operations in the British Army.
Bloodlands provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Tom has to contend with his daughter almost being kidnapped after he and Niamh started to investigate the Goliath case.
- Cop Killer: The hooded pro-Republican teenagers almost killed a PSNI officer after they used molotovs on a squad car that was about to enter Dunfolan Police Station. At the same time, the PSNI had to start investigating the Goliath case after Tom raised the issue that he could active in the force.
- Reality Ensues: When the pro-Republican teenagers firebombed a squad car, it's expected to have heavy security in the affected station. Truth in Television as this is the PSNI's SOP due to the threat from a few Republican and Loyalist groups that have publicly refused to disarm over refusing to acknowledge the Good Friday Agreement.
- Shown Their Work: The PSNI is a fully armed force, which is correct due to Northern Ireland's current security situation.
- Wham Episode:
- The first episode suggested that the kidnapping of Pat Keenan was masterminded by Goliath.
- Tom whips out a pistol and kills Adam Cory on an island somewhere in Strangford Lough in the second episdoe.