Release: April 13, 2008
Movie: Super Mario Bros. (1993)
This review contains examples of:
- Boredom Montage: Critic's enthusiasm for the movies gradually fades during the poorly animated prologue about the film's backstory.
- Captain Obvious: The Critic delivers one of these to the filmmakers: "If you want a joke to be funny, you need humor."
- The End... Or Is It?:Critic: The Mario Bros. get the rock back, stop the evil Koopa, turn him into a Muppet and return back home. Daisy can't go because she has to figure out where she "belongs" and they have a happy ending. OR DO THEY?!
- Irony: The Critic superimposes "Academy Award Nominated Actor" over scenes of Dennis Hopper (as King Koopa) saying "Bob-Omb" and "Monkey!" repeatedly.
- Marshmallow Hell: Critic points out a lot of these shots during the scene where Mario tries to get the rock from Big Bertha.Critic: What some people will do for a role.
- Sequel Hook: Critic complains when the movie ends with one of these.
- Sick and Wrong: Critic says this in response to Mario and Luigi's "relationship" and the above-mentioned montage.Critic: You're messed up, movie! You're fucking messed up!
- Take That!: When Critic introduces us to the alternate world where its inhabitants evolved from dinosaurs instead of monkeys.Critic: Suck on that, Creationism!
- Tempting Fate: Critic asks how can the movie get any worse before showing a scene where Daisy introduces the Mario Bros. to her transformed father, followed by Critic doing a Head Desk.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Invoked by the Critic when he sees the animated prologue.Critic: Oh my God, this movie's gonna blow.
- This Is Your Premise on Drugs: Invoked by the Critic when describing the trailer as apparently promising "Super Mario Bros." ON STEROIDS!
- Who's on First?: Critic compares the "last names" scene to an Abbot & Costello routine.