The crew posing for a picture on their first M-class planet. Geez, quit blocking the poor crewman, Archer.
An away team to a new planet starts seeing mysterious "rock people."
Tropes in this episode include:
- Alien Lunch: Played With. Cutler seems to like Vulcan plomeek broth, but Novakovich doesn't share her tastes.
- Alien Sky: The planet has two moons, but otherwise isn't too different from Earth.
- Body Horror: Novakovich is beamed up during a storm—and materialized with debris in his skin.
- Deadpan Snarker:
- T'Pol, after they land on the planet.
T'Pol: We'll rendezvous here at 1900 hours, unless the Captain wants us to pose for more pictures.
- Malcolm, after catching a water polo ball that Archer tosses at him.
Archer: Nice catch. You'd make a good two-meter man. Too bad we don't have a pool on board.
Malcolm: ("yeah, whatever" look) A shame.
- Dutch Angle: Trip gets a few of these shots as he gets increasingly trippy.
- Ghost Story: Travis tells one to Trip, Cutler, and Novakovich while camping. T'Pol naturally pokes holes in their story.
- Hate Plague: Turns out that an undetected pollen is making everyone paranoid.
- Idiot Ball: Archer either had absolutely no one in place to monitor the weather conditions or just outright disregarded the warning signs despite the fact that storms powerful enough to potentially crash a shuttle pod don't just appear out of nowhere. If there hadn't been a cave nearby for the landing party to seek shelter in once their tents blew away then they would have been exposed to it all night.
- If It Tastes Bad, It Must Be Good for You: Implied when Cutler and Novakovich debate the merits of their respective breakfasts.
Novakovich: (re her plomeek broth) How can you eat that stuff?
Cutler: (re his bacon and eggs) It's healthier than that.
Novakovich: At least this tastes like something.
- Impairment Shot: From Travis' POV when Trip tells him to stay awake and alert.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Connor Trinneer briefly loses the Southern accent while Trip is checking on Travis.
- Pardon My Klingon: A sign that T'Pol is being affected by the pollen.
- Precision F-Strike: From someone who's clearly out of his mind.
Archer: (on Shuttlepod 1) Archer to Novakovich. Ethan, respond.
Novakovich: WHO'S THERE? WHO IS THAT?
Archer: This is Captain Archer. We're attempting to land. I want you to get back to the cavern.
Novakovich: GO TO HELL!!
Archer: ("WTF?" look)
- Red Shirt: Subverted—Novakovich pulls through in the end.
- Remember That You Trust Me: Archer trying to get through to an increasingly paranoid Trip, mentioning a Noodle Incident where Trip came down with nitrogen narcosis. It works for a while, but then Trip goes crazy again.
- Rock Monster: What everyone (sans T'Pol) keeps seeing. Turns out to be a hallucination.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Trip as he becomes increasingly unstable.
"You think we're gonna wait around here for you to slaughter us? I'll blow this whole cave apart if I have to! I KNOW YOU HEAR ME!!!"
- That's an Order!: Archer orders Trip to stop pointing his phaser at T'Pol. It doesn't take for very long as Trip starts getting paranoid again.
- Throw It In!: In-Universe—to make it look like they're making peace with the "rock people," T'Pol improvises a speech in Vulcan.