A mysterious crime wave of sexually violated chickens crops up in town. Officer Barbrady tries to solve it, but leaves the force after admitting that he can't read. While Barbrady goes back to elementary school, Cartman is made a junior deputy and abuses anyone who doesn't respect his "authoritah."
This episode contains the following tropes:
- Back to School: Officer Barbrady goes back to schooland the third grade no lessafter it's revealed that he's illiterate.
- Batman Gambit: The Book Mobile Driver claims that he pulled one of these to teach Officer Barbrady how to read. Stan and Kyle find it a little hard to believe.
- Oddly the Book Mobile Driver made love to chickens BEFORE Barbrady mentions his inability to read. This was never touched upon. But he may have known before.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: How else can you describe a guy who regularly has sex with chickens?
- Catchphrase: "Respect my authoritah!" is used by Cartman in some variation several times in this episode, mostly when he's abusing his police powers.
- Also, "Sir, would you mind stepping out of the car, please?". Even if the person isn't in his car.
- Four Is Death: Kenny comes out of three life-threatening scenarios unharmed. The fourth incident at the end credits (where a tree falls on top of him) is what ends up killing him.
- Hypocrite: Mr. Garrison at first orders Kyle to stop insulting Barbrady for being illiterate, but then he joins in on bullying Barbrady as well calling him a dumbass and laughing at his vacuity.
- Kick the Dog: After the Mayor threatens to take his job away permanently if he doesn't pass reading, one of her aides pops a ball Stan and Kyle were playing for dramatic effect.
- Manchild: Barbrady really enjoys playing on the school playground.
- Morality Chain: In a strange way, Barbrady is this for the whole town since his presence stops major crime from happening.
- Noodle Incident: Stan's father recognizes Cartman as "...the one who plugged up the toilet" the last time he was invited over the Marsh house.
- Police are Useless: Subverted. As stupid as Barbrady is, the moment he quits, the town descends into chaos. The Mayor and her aides are stunned that he actually kept the peace.One of the aides: I always thought he was an idiot.
Mayor: He is.
- Police Brutality: Once deputized, Cartman proceeds to hit the kneecaps of offenders and scream at them to get to jail. In the end, Barbrady tells Cartman he's got it all wrong.Barbrady: You gotta hit 'em in the head. They go down faster.
- "Reading Is Cool" Aesop: This trope seems to be played straight for the majority of the episode, but then The Tag comes along, where Barbrady has been put off by Atlas Shrugged (rewarded by the Book Mobile Driver) and declares that he's never reading again.
- Take That!: Barbrady has this to say about Atlas Shrugged:"Yes, at first, I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical. But then I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of shit, I'm never reading again!"
- They Killed Kenny Again: Double Subversion. Kenny manages to escape death three times before he's finally killed during the end credits.
- Title Drop: The culprit is always called the "chickenfucker" throughout the series, but only twice was he referred to as the "chickenlover".
- Wrong Restaurant: Officer Barbrady stops at Fran's National Bank to order some cheeseburgers and jalapeno poppers.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Just when it seems Kenny has cheated death in this episode (doing so three times), he gets killed when a tree falls on him during the credits.