Rimmer's attempts to get ahead in life are inconvenienced when Red Dwarf becomes taken over by a chameleonic metal & plastic-eating microbe.
This episode contains examples of:
- Brick Joke: Rimmer's interactions with the vending machine.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends on one, with Rimmer the only remaining crewmember on board a disintegrating Red Dwarf.
- Coin-on-a-String Trick: Rimmer comes to regret using this on a sentient vending machine.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Did Rimmer actually successfully kick Death in the groin?
- The End... Or Is It?: "The Smeg It Is!".
- Escape Pod: Talia comes aboard the ship in one.
- Frame-Up: Kryten does this to Lister and Rimmer after getting some very unhelpful "advice" from the former.
- Gargle Blaster: Baxter's illicit hooch. One sip gets Lister and Rimmer plastered.
- Groin Attack:Death: That's never happened before.
- Mirror Universe: A device is created to allow visits to one. In the end, the entire crew except Rimmer flees to it when the microbe begins destroying Red Dwarf.
- A Mythology Is True: The Grim Reaper mentions taking Rimmer to the River Styx, implying that Greek Mythology is true in the Red Dwarf universe provided the whole thing wasn't a Dying Dream.
- Oh, Crap!: Lister and Rimmer when they learn their cell is about to be searched and they've got gallons of illegal hooch on site.
- Tempting Fate: Rimmer's comment to the hostile vending machine "And on that day, I will be the Captain of this ship."
- Uncertain Doom: The episode ends with Rimmer kicking the Grim Reaper in the balls and running away and the microbes destroying the ship. As of Back To Earth, Rimmer's a hologram again and the ship is apparently fine with no explanation how the microbes were stopped.