The origin of Herr Starr's involvement with the Grail is revealed. In New Orleans, Tulip confronts her near-death experience, Denis asks Cassidy for a favor, and Jesse questions the price he paid to save Tulip and Cassidy.
- Ancient Conspiracy: The Grail has existed for two thousand years, manipulating world events and safekeeping the progenie of Jesus Christ.
- Been There, Shaped History: The Grail's Samson Unit is tasked with eliminating "false prophets", that is anyone who would contend with the throne of Jesus' descendants, including Abraham Lincoln and John Belushi.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: It is implied Stephen Hawking is a member of the Grail, as a voice similar to comes up with a pseudo-scientific explanation as to why the pig was levitating.
- Catapult Nightmare: Tulip has two about the Saint, one of which is part of a dream within a dream.
- Confusion Fu: During a physical test involving wrestling, Starr resorts to pretend masturbiation to get his attacker to break the chokehold.
- Cue the Flying Pigs: Starr is sent to a village in Vietnam to investigate a floating pig. Later on, the street preacher lists pigs flying as a sign of the apocalypse, along with the Cubs winning the World Series and the election of Donald Trump.
- Cutting the Knot: In the seduction test, rather than actually try to seduce the female informant to get the intel he needs, Starr just threatens to have her and her family killed. He passes.
- I Have This Friend...: Jesse makes up a parishioner of his to talk to the street preacher about selling one percent of his soul.
- Kill 'Em All: How Starr winds up dealing with the village in Vietnam.
- Klingon Promotion: Starr pulls this on the president of the Grail after being admitted into the group. Before that, he had shot the last competitor to the vacancy in the Grail.
- Last Request: Denis is dying from a heart disease, and asks Cassidy to make him a vampire so he can live forever. Cassidy is adamant against it initially, but after leaving the morgue, it looks like he may be reconsidering.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently Cassidy's been locked in a morgue chamber before.
- Take That!: One of the kids in Vietnam is wearing an "Atlanta Falcons Super Bowl 2017 champions" t-shirt. Famously, Atlanta stores were stocking the shelves with shirts as the Falcons had a 28-3 lead in the third quarter...and lost to the New England Patriots 34-28.
- It's stated that the Cubs winning the World Series has been a long-held sign of the apocalypse by the Grail.
- Too Kinky to Torture: While his fellow applicants are moaning in pain, Starr seems to be enjoying the electrocution test.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: In the final part of the Grail admission trials, Starr's opponent aces a marksmanship test. Starr, meanwhile, simply shoots him, thus giving him the position.