Kaz Kaan has a lot on his plate. The Black & White Ball at the Met is in less than a week away and he's just discovered that his favorite tuxedo is midnight blue, not black, and he's barely got time to find a replacement. He's also trying to help Helena St. Tesoro recover from her recent demonic possession - the whole incident has left her badly shaken, and she turns down his offer to accompany him to the Black & White Ball. In the midst of this turmoil, Kaz strikes up a friendly acquaintance with Sailor Pellegrino, a famous pop star and Neo Yokio's newly appointed cultural ambassador. Sailor agrees to go as Kaz's date to the Ball, but Aunt Agatha has already booked Kaz to work security at that same venue, hunting down and exterminating any demons that might strike during the event.
Things come to a head when a famous piece of art goes missing during the Ball - Damien Hirst's "For the Love of God," a platinum cast of a human skull bedazzled with over 8,000 flawless diamonds. Flawless diamonds that just so happen to amplify demonic powers. Can Kaz keep the Black & White Ball from going pear shaped? Will Sailor Pellegrino snatch him off the Bachelor Board so soon after his breakup with Cathy? And is it really so outlandish to wear a midnight blue tuxedo to a black tie function?
A Pop Star of Infinite Elegance Contains Example of:
- Absurd Cutting Power: Kaz's Hard Light blade that he summons to defeat Sailor's demon form cleaves a diamond-encrusted platinum skull in half.
- Alas, Poor Yorick: Kaz hold the bifurcated platinum skull that moments ago housed Sailor's demonic consciousness at arm's length
- Ballroom Blitz: The Black & White Ball, after a demon gets ahold of "For the Love of God." Kaz keeps the action contained to a different gallery than the dance floor.
- Binocular Shot: Kaz is stuck doing security for the Met Gala - that means he's cooped up in a balcony with a plate of appetizers and a pair of binoculars. When he uses the binoculars to check on what Arcangelo's doing, the view switches to a P.O.V. Cam, complete with a binocular outline.
- Crystal Skull: The diamond encrusted skull.
- Dramatically Missing the Point: Minutes after a diamond encrusted skull goes missing amidst suspected demonic activity, Sailor finds Kaz in the galleries. She kisses him, leaving a huge diamond in his mouth. In a state of confusion, Kaz asks her if she's a jewel thief.
- Failed a Spot Check: Kaz was hired by the museum specifically to suss out any demons that might be in hiding. When the a diamond encrusted skull with the ability to magnify demonic powers goes missing and Sailor smooches a diamond into his mouth, he immediately believes that there's nothing more fishy than jewel theft going on. Sailor immediately peels off her human disguise, revealing that she's a demon now possessing the diamond encrusted skull. Kaz is a demon hunter who just made out with a demon possessing the missing work of art he was trying to find, completely oblivious to both facts.
- Flaming Skulls: The skull isn't technically wreathed in flames, but the demonic red energy streaming out of it is close enough.
- Gem-Encrusted: "For the Love of God" is an actual sculpture by artist Damien Hirst, consisting of a platinum cast of a human skull set with 8,601 flawless diamonds.
- Orbital Kiss: When Kaz and Sailor kiss at the Met Gala, the background becomes a sparkly blur and the camera rotates at least 180 degrees around the pair.
- Portal Picture: The demon skull jumps into Arnold Bocklin's "Isle of the Dead," presumably to escape Kaz. Kaz follows, and they end up doing battle inside of the painting.
- Shocking Swerve: Out of nowhere, Sailor Pelligrino turns out to be a a demon, who upgrades from being disguised as an international pop star to possessing a diamond encrusted skull.
- Sailor Pellegrino is likely a reference to Sailor Moon.
- Lexy and Gottleib get masks to go with their tuxedos. Like Tuxedo Mask.
- When Kaz spots Arcangelo enjoying the Met Gala, Arcangelo strikes a classic Sailor Moon-inspired pose (one eye peeking through the middle and index fingers in a V-sign, tilted sideways) to tease Kaz.
- Kaz pulls and Alas, Poor Yorick with the skull he just defeated.
- Sleight of Tongue: When Sailor kisses Kaz at the Met, he immediately spits out a big, flawless diamond.
- Title Drop: Said by Kaz when he reflects on the demonic skull he just defeated in battle:Kaz: Alas, poor Sailor, a pop star of infinite elegance.