Kaz Kaan is mourning the death of a relationship: his girlfriend Cathy has departed for a job on the West Coast, leaving him and the city of Neo Yokio in the dust. He's even lost the will to participate in the Neo Yokio field hockey finals, much to the consternation of his friends and teammates Lexy and Gottlieb. The one good thing to come out of the breakup is the fact that Kaz is back on the Bachelor Board (a huge display in Times Square that ranks the most handsome, wealthy, and desirable single men in Neo Yokio according to public opinion). But Kaz Kaan is stuck at #2, while his rival Arcangelo maintains a strong grip on the top spot.
Normally, Kaz would be throwing all his energy into improving his rank on the bachelor board, but he's too emotionally distraught over his recent breakup to do even that. To top it off, his Aunt Agatha's got a job for him to do. Kaz is one of a long line of exorcists who keep residents of the city safe from the threat of demonic possession, and teen celebrity fashion blogger Helena St. Tesoro is the latest victim.
Kaz and his robot butler Charles travel to Helena's residence in the sunken southern tip of Manhattan to attempt an exorcism on Helena, but Kaz find his powers are mysteriously ineffective. Dejected by this most recent failure, Kaz visits a graveyard (where he's designed his own grave) to mope, but a sudden insight into Helena's wardrobe choice just might lead him to crack the case. After all that, can he make it to the field hockey final in time to defeat Arcangelo and his gang of East-side cronies?
The Sea Beneath 14th St. Contains Example of
- Big Game: The Neo Yokio Field Hockey finals.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: Arcangelo fouls Kaz, which allows Kaz to make the shot on a penalty kick.
- Cult of Personality/ Instant Fan Club: The Helenists are Helena Saint Tesoro's biggest fans. They obsessively read her blog and are heartbroken when she's possessed by a demon.
- Demonic Possession:
- The reason for the existence of the Magistocracy - a surge in occult activity during the past centuries led to Neo Yokio inviting individuals with shamanic powers to relocate to the city in order to combat the rising rates of demonic possession.
- Popular fashion blogger Helena St. Tesoro gets possessed in this episode. She floats several feet off the ground, surrounded by a bubble of glowing purple energy, and her voice gets a freaky reverb to it. It turns out that she wasn't possessed directly. Her custom Chanel suit was possessed, but the effect is much the same.
- Down to the Last Play: The tie breaker between the East-side and West-side Gentlemen was a penalty shot from Kaz.
- Eureka Moment: Kaz has one when he visits the graveyard and strikes up a conversation with an elderly gentleman tending his wife's grave... with luxury perfume.
- Heartbroken Badass: Kaz Kaan has vast reserves of demon-fighting power, but after he's dumped by his girlfriend Cathy he falls into a fit of melancholia that lasts for weeks. He tries to get out of the job Agatha's set up for him by claiming emotional distress but she's having none of it.
- Heroic Lineage: Kaz Kaan, much to his dismay, comes from a long line of psychic demon exterminators. His ancestors came to Neo Yokio to combat the sudden influx of demons, and he's inherited their powers.
- Idle Rich: Subverted with Kaz; he'd happily be one, but his aunt makes sure he performs his duties as a demon hunter and exorcist.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Mecha!:
- Kaz's robot butler Charles is a Mini-Mecha with a charming British accent. He can even fly through the air with rocket boots.
- The Tesoro's robot butler.
- The Jeeves: Charles, the robot butler.
- Male Gaze: We get a strange close up shot of a female tennis player's butt in tight culottes within the first five minutes of the episode. Later when Kaz exorcises Helena's possessed Chanel suit it dissolves completely, leaving her in her underwear.
- Mini-Mecha: Kaz's robot butler Charles looks to be about 8 feet tall.
- Opposing Sports Team: The East-Side Gentlemen. Arcangelo fouls Kaz out of spite.
- Rousing Speech: Kaz makes it to the field hockey game just in time to deliver a rousing speech to his teammates. (Not that they needed it - Kaz proceeds to be the only one who scores for the rest of the game, single handedly winning the match.)
- Running Gag: The first of many mentions of Freddie Miles' epic parties.
- Those Two Guys: Lexy and Gottlieb, Kaz's friends that are rarely seen without each other.
- Underwater City: Everything below 14th Street seems to have been submerged by rising sea levels or sunken into the bay. The rich still live there, in waterproofed townhouses resting on the "sea floor."