Films watched: Girls Town
The host segments for this episode deal with Dr. Forrester hooking up the Satellite of Love to Deep 13 via the Umbilicus, a plot device that ran until the end of the seventh season.
- The crew is making party preparations in anticipation of a big announcement from Dr. Forrester. There's snacks, formal wear, and even a band.
- Dr. Forrester comes out with his big announcement. He has created the Umbilicus, a 270-mile tether connecting Gypsy in the Satellite of Love with Deep 13. The connection ceremony hits a snag when Frank has to run out and get an adapter from the hardware store, so a movie is sent up to pass the time.
- Servo decides to do some scat singing. Mike and Crow decide to stop Servo from scat singing by blasting him out of a rocket, but Commercial Sign starts and they have to let him out.
- Mike brings his candy stash out and makes Crow and Servo promise on the honor system to limit themselves to one piece a day. While Mike is explaining the honor system to Crow, Servo devours the whole stash.
- The crew have a debate on what women in the future will consider sexy. As Mike draws up ideas, it's generally agreed that the future of style will be defined by Mamie van Doren, with wings and power-takeoff added for good measure.
- Frank finally comes back with the adapter and Dr. Forrester completes the Umbilicus hookup. Mike celebrates Dr. F's achievement by sending him down some "just desserts".
The the MST3K treatment provides examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny:
- Mike, Crow and especially Servo chuckle when a nun asks the Mother Superior what to do if Silver keeps acting up: "Pray earnestly, sister... (beat) ...before you pop her in the kisser!"Servo: Ah ha! Rock'em, sock'em nuns!
- Even Mike and the 'bots enjoy The Platters singing, and pay the ultimate respect by not riffing hard during their number.
- Mike, Crow and especially Servo chuckle when a nun asks the Mother Superior what to do if Silver keeps acting up: "Pray earnestly, sister... (beat) ...before you pop her in the kisser!"
- Balloon Belly: Rare live action version: Servo ate all the chocolate while Mike enlightened Crow about the honor system; when the camera zoomed out, Servo had a huge belly.
- Buxom Is Better: The bots predict what will be considered sexy in the future. While they describe future sexy women with car design (like having cab forward), Mike predicts that big breasted women like Mamie van Doren will be ideal as they've always been.
- Call-Back: "No, Lupita!"
- When a beach is shown: "Tom Stewart killed me!"note
- Cloudcuckoolander: Their version of Stalker with a Crush Serafiina.
- Fate Worse than Death: Scat singing!
- Ignore the Fanservice: Upon seeing a scantily clad waitress in front of a diner:Crow: Wow! Look how cheap hot dogs were back then!
- Lyrical Dissonance: Mike and the 'Bots adding their own lyrics about Chip's murder to all the 1950s pop/soul/rockabilly songs.All: [Over the bouncy opening number] Chip is de-ad, Chip is de-ad...
- Male Gaze: Mamie's breasts have almost as big a role as Mamie herself. For example, when Chip's father mutters about what his son ever saw in her, Silver turns to him, and Servo quips, "Do these answer your question for you?"Mike: A subtle evening gown that says LOOK AT THIS!
- Nuns Are Funny: Mike and the 'Bots have a lot of fun with this trope, such as the "conversation" between two elderly nuns about how much money they lost on the game last night. "Troy Aikman can go to blazes."
- Pie in the Face: When Dr. Forrester creates an "umbilical cord" from the SOL to Deep 13, Mike throws a pie through the tube that hits Forrester in the face.
- Running Gag
- Servo breaking out into scat singing when Mel Tormé is on screen.
- Shout-Out:Tom Servo: Let's do some crimes!
- Space Elevator: Dr. Forrester is proud to announce accomplishing this with "The Umbilicus" — basically lowering the other end of Gypsy's hose from the Satellite of Love down to Deep 13 and hooking it in place. (Once Frank gets an adapter from Hardware Hank's, anyway.)
- Speaking Like Totally Teen: You can't avoid it, with all the hep slang.