Airdate: November 29, 2009
Brian accidentally runs over a dog and becomes so guilt-ridden, he tries to turn himself in...only to realize that people don't care if an animal dies (especially if one animal kills another) and becomes an activist to get people to care about the well-being of animals. Meanwhile, Lois hires Consuela the maid to clean up after Peter accidentally spills Kool-Aid in the kitchen.
"Dog Gone" contains examples of:
- Accent Depundent: In-universe. Because of her thick New England accent, Lois pronounces "PETA" the same way she does "Peter." Peter is, of course, repeatedly confused and increasingly irritated by this.Lois: PETA is an acronym, Peter.
Peter: No, I'm not; I'm Catholic.
Stewie: Are we really doing this?
- Armor-Piercing Question: Subverted. Brian asks Stewie how he'd feel if he killed one of his own kind. Stewie says he's already killed multiple babies.
- Ascended Extra: This is Consuela the Hispanic maid's first major role.
- Break the Cutie: Brian's attempts to get animal rights are met with mockery, failure, and mob violence. He's reduced to crying in the bathtub.
- Break the Haughty: Brian when he realizes that his novel is only liked by the mentally handicapped, and later when he discovers that no one cares if an animal dies—especially if it was at the hands of another animal.
- Brick Joke: Brian tells the dad from The Family Circus to "Go fuck [his] wife in the face". One commercial break later, Peter is reading the newpaper comics and comments, "Well this is a very shocking Family Circus."
- Broken Aesop: Stewie kills a dog to prove to Brian that dogs' lives matter. He tries to mitigate this by pointing out that it was a stray.
- Butt-Monkey: Brian. Played for Drama in that everyone treating Brian like crap ends up emotionally breaking him.
- Doorstop Baby: Peter disguises Consuela as one and leaves her on Joe's porch.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Brian gets wasted after learning that his book only appeals to the mentally handicapped. This leads to him driving while barely awake and running over a dog.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: At the ice cream shop, Brian undoes the leash of a dog panting in the sun. The dog immediately kills a woman's chihuahua and mauls a police officer before being shot to death by other officers.Stewie: Maybe that's why he was tied up.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Stewie openly revels in messing with Brian over the dog being run over, but he still helps him out in the end (albeit at the expense of others).
- Jerkass: Lois towards Brian when he egotistically brags about the event honoring his book. Also, pretty much everyone when telling him that a dog's life doesn't matter as much as a human's.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Brian after running over the dog.
- No Animals Were Harmed: At the end of, Peter says:We here at Family Guy want you to know that we respect all living beings, and assure you, that no animals were harmed in the makings of this episode. But we're about to hurt the feelings of this Italian opera singer by prematurely dropping the curtain on his performance.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Consuela quickly slides into this territory once the Griffins hire her, staying overnight when it starts raining, and then refusing to leave after they fire her. It takes being drugged and left at Joe's house to finally get rid of her.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Stewie fakes Brian's death to show him that the family does care about him and that his life has meaning.