- Calvin and Hobbes travel to the North Pole to prove to Santa that's he good. However, he ends up doing more than he expected...
After failing to resist temptation (yet again), Calvin attempts to rectify his errors by visiting the North Pole and confronting Santa personally.When he arrives, he discovers that his naughty record is so massive it has its own room, much to his horror.
The two then go explore Santa's workshop, where Calvin is mistaken for an elf. The duo then find themselves on a conveyer belt leading to Santa's sleigh! Seeing the reindeer, Calvin then gets an idea...
Two elves, noticing the predicament, climb on Santa's sleigh. Calvin is then forced to take over as Santa for the night, managing to use the Time Pauser... until it runs out of batteries. He manages to get every neighborhood but his own, making for some sad irony - through his selfless act, he ended up giving to everywhere but himself.
Moping, he returns home, looking under his tree to find nothing... until Santa himself comes down! He tells Calvin that he's a naughty and good child (and he's not the only one), having good intentions. He then sends them to bed, while he does his work.
When they awake, Calvin is overjoyed to find a veritable mountain of presents before him! With peace restored to the world at last, he and Hobbes share a hug.
- Christmas Episode
- Continuity Nod: Several of them.Hobbes: (discussing Calvin's goodness) Hmmm... There was the Time Pauser that happened this year, then you rigged the house and destroyed your parents' home, then you wrecked your dad's office, then there was the incident that involved television when you said it was going to take over the world, then you...
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Mind Screw: The box's error message:Hi, we can't come to the foam right now. Just leave a mess, and we'll go back to sleep.
Disregard previous message.
PLEASE STAND BY.
Four and Twenty Blackbirds baked in a pie.
WARNING! DISC FULL!
Drive slow, old cats
Two equals three.
Have a good day good day good day good day.
- Mistaken for Special Guest: Of a sort - Calvin is mistaken for an elf.
- Mythology Gag: Several.
- Saving Christmas: The "Visiting the North Pole" variation.
- Shout-Out: The fifth line from the song above is from a Twelve Days of Christmas feature on the Garfield site.
- Mom watches Frosty the Snowman.
- When Calvin sifts through the files, the three he reads aloud are "Chuckie, Camcorder man, Charlie Brown..."
- "On Dopey! On Sneezy! On Happy! And you! And someone else! Darn I can't remember their names."
- Christmas is Here, mentioned below, is from "A Garfield Christmas".
- Song Fic: Christmas is Here is used near the end.
- Special Edition Title: Mostly ripped off (at least, in spirit - it's sung by a Christmas choir, for one) from SpongeBob:"Who has the best Christmas special around? (CALVIN AND HOBBES!)
At a wonderful place where you never frown? (CALVIN AND HOBBES!)
Unwrapping presents as we speak? (CALVIN AND HOBBES!)
Adventurous, bold and sometimes meek? (CALVIN AND HOBBES!)
Oh, Calvin and Hobbes!
Calvin and Hobbes,
Calvin and Hobbes,
Calvin and Hobbes Christmas Special!"
- To the Tune of...: Calvin performs a new rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas."On the 12th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, 12 snowballs whacking!
11 water balloons splashing!
10 bowls of Chocolate-Frosted Sugar Bombs!
9 driving lessons!
7 bunny slippers
6 cats of pranking!
FIVE BILLION PRESENTS!
4 internet modems!
3 Time Pausers
AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE!"
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Hobbes says this when Calvin gets an idea in Santa's sleigh.