Calvin watches in envy as the Derkins set up their new DirectTV, chastising his father for not keeping up. Neither he nor Hobbes agree with Calvin, but he's got a plan - the TR (TV Restoration) device, a band-aid that directs all the electricity in the state to his own TV! What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
- Hobbes: (to the audience) You know what's going to happen, and I know what's going to happen.
When he installs it, a 45-second power failure ensues, a sure sign that the TR has worked.
Later, Calvin gets up for a midnight snack and finds the TV on. And no matter how much he tries, It Won't Turn Off! Until he tries to convince Hobbes that it's possessed, that is. The next day, while Calvin watches SpongeBob SquarePants, the TV starts screwing around, revealing a face. Calvin simply avoids the TV for the rest of the day.
That night, Calvin confronts the TV, who reveals that it came through the TR, and it isn't planning on leaving anytime soon - in fact, he's trying to get more power by using all the electricity in the world. His brainwashing attempt fails, so he begins attacking through the appliances. Eventually, Hobbes ends up witnessing this turn of events, and he and Calvin form a plan - he distracts it so Calvin can try to stop it. Unfortunately, Calvin is trapped by the phone wires before he can get to it, and he's soon attacked by his own inventions.
Calvin then pretends to go along with the TV, making a new power strip. However, it ends up weakening him, and though he promises to return, Calvin refutes his claims.
The duo remark on how they've saved the world (though no one will ever know), and then note the wreck that is their living room...
- Adults Are Useless/Hand Wave:Right now, you may be asking, why on Earth isn't someone coming out of bed to investigate? Well, most of the people were lazy bumbs [sic] around there, and others appeared to be really heavy sleepers.
- Bald of Evil: Electro.
- Batter Up!: Calvin wields a bat against the TV.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Electro is quite ugly.
- Big "NO!": Electro when he is defeated.
- Blah Blah Blah: See We Will Meet Again below.
- Brainwashed: Electro attempts to do this. It doesn't work.Calvin: HA! Nice, trying to hypnopotomize me your TV tricks! But it won't work!
- Cassandra Truth: Hobbes doesn't believe Calvin about the TV.
- Create Your Own Villain: Nice going, Calvin.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Hobbes does this.
- Edible Ammunition: Unsurprisingly, the possessed fridge attacks with this.
- Imagine Spot: Referenced by Hobbes: note Calvin: HOBBES! HOBBES! THE TV! IT'S HAUNTED! IT'S ALIVE! IT'S CREEPY! HELP ME!
Hobbes: Yes, of corse it is, Calvin. Is this a Stupendous Man, Spaceman Spiff or Tracer Bullet thing?
Calvin: It's not! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! THE TV IS ALIVE!
- I Surrender, Suckers: Calvin does this to defeat the TV.
- It Won't Turn Off: The TV.
- Medium Awareness: See We Will Meet Again.
- No Fourth Wall: See Hobbes' quote.
- Outside Ride: Hobbes briefly rides the Derkins' car into a ditch.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: "Hypnopotomize".
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Electro.
- Rhymes on a Dime: See Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?
- Shock and Awe: Electro takes over the TV, and he manages to gain control of all the electricity in Calvin's neighborhood.
- Technopath: Electro.
- Time for Plan B:Hobbes: Calvin! Try to get it to swing over here!
Calvin gave Hobbes a bewildered stare.
Hobbes: Never mind. OK, Plan B!
Just then, more phone lines snapped, and grabbed Hobbes, and lifted him into the air.
Hobbes: Or maybe Plan K.
- Turned Against Their Masters: Electro manipulates all the appliances to do this to Calvin and Hobbes, including Calvin's inventions.
- We Will Meet Again: Epically lampshaded by Calvin:
- Who Dares?:Electro: You dare insult me? No person shall insult me!
- Would Hurt a Child: When Calvin leaps for the TR:Electro: I wouldn't do that, Calvin, unless you want five million volts of electricity surging through you.
- Your Mom: See Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?