Archer's mother Malory assigns her son the task of training ISIS accountant Cyril Figgis to be an agent - purely so Lana will forget Archer. However, Archer easily realizes his mother's intention and sets out to screw it up. Meanwhile, secretary Cheryl and human resources representative Pam take advantage of Malory being temporarily blinded by an allergic reaction.
This episode provides examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch: Malory talks about not wanting her son to rekindle his relationship with Lana. If she hadn't finished her sentence, it would have come out of racist reasons.Malory: My God, a black... ops field agent?Pam: Thought she was going in a whole other direction with that.
- Chekhov's Gun: Simultaneously discussed, played straight, and subverted, since it's not the expected gun that fires.Archer: God, I said the cap on the poison pen slips off for no reason, didn't I?Cyril: But I just assumed that if anything bad happened...Archer: No, do not say the Chekhov gun, Cyril. That, sir, is a facile argument.Woodhouse: And also woefully esoteric.
- Cruel Mercy: In the end of the episode, Lana punishes Cyril by forcing him to rent the nastiest interracial adult movie he can find. He's not happy as that requires the store belonging to a sweet old Korean lady.
- Disney Death: Trinette isn't actually dead; she's just unconscious.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Subverted:Archer: Oh my god! You killed a hooker!Cyril: Call-girl!Archer: No, Cyril, when they're dead, they're just hookers!
- Ignored Epiphany: Archer at the end of the episode.Archer: You know, I bet there's a lesson to be learned from all this, but I- Oh shit, my rug!
- Lampshaded the Obscure Reference: Woodhouse in the above Chekhov's Gun quote.