Songs for Swingin' Lovers! is the tenth studio album by Frank Sinatra, released in 1956. It's one of his most popular music records, along with In the Wee Small Hours from the previous year. It generated such hits as "You Make Me Feel So Young" and "I've Got You Under My Skin". Time Magazine included the album in their 2006 list of 100 timeless and essential albums., while it was listed at nr. #308 in Rolling Stone's Rolling Stone: 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
It should not be confused with the earlier album with a similar title Songs for Young Lovers from 1954.
- "You Make Me Feel So Young" (2:57)
- "It Happened in Monterey" (2:36)
- "You're Getting to Be a Habit With Me" (2:19)
- "You Brought a New Kind of Love To Me" (2:48)
- "Too Marvelous for Words" (2:29)
- "Old Devil Moon" (3:56)
- "Pennies from Heaven" (2:44)
- "Love Is Here to Stay" (2:42)
- "I've Got You Under My Skin" (3:43)
- "I Thought About You" (2:30)
- "We'll Be Together Again" (4:26)
- "Makin' Whoopee" (3:06)
- "Swingin' Down the Lane" (2:54)
- "Anything Goes" (2:43)
- "How About You?" (2:45)
I've Troped You Under My Skin:
- Alliterative Title: "Songs For Swingin' Lovers".
- Break-Up Song: "It Happened In Monterey"Broke somebody's heart and I fear that it was mine
- Cover Album: The album has songs by Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer and George Gershwin, among others. All Sinatra's albums were this, because he wasn't a songwriter.
- Extreme Doormat: "You've Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me"I know that I'm the slave, you're the queen
- Face on the Cover: Sinatra's face, looking at some lovers. The original album cover in 1956 depicted Sinatra as looking away from them, but in 1957 Capitol realised it was better if he were looking at them, so subsequent copies of the album have him looking at them.
- Fool for Love:
I'd sacrifice anything come what mightFor the sake of havin' you nearIn spite of a warnin' voice that comes in the nightAnd repeats, repeats in my ear:Don't you know, little fool, you never can win?Use your mentality, wake up to realityBut each time that I do just the thought of youMakes me stop before I beginCause I've got you under my skin
- "I've Got You Under My Skin"
The moment that you speakI want to run and play hide-and-seekI want to go and bounce the moonJust like a big toy balloonYou and I, we are just like a couple of totsRunning along the meadowSnatching up all those forget to be nots
- "You Make Me Feel So Young".
- Full Moon Silhouette: "Old Devil Moon".I look at you and suddenly, something in your eyes I seeSoon begins bewitching me.It's that old devil moon that you stole from the skies.It's that old devil moon in your eyes.
- Intercourse with You: "Making' Whoopee"The groom is nervous, he answers twiceIt's really killin' that he's so willin' to make whoopee
- Last Kiss: "We'll Be Together Again".We'll be together againYour kiss, your smile,Are memories I'll treasure forever
- Obsession Song: "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me"But now I couldn't do without my supplyI need you for my ownOh, I can't break away I must have you everydayAs regularly as coffee or teaYou've got me in your clutches and I can't get free
- The Power of Love: All songs deal with the subject.
You're much - you're too much - and just too "very, very"To ever be, to ever be in Webster's Dictionary.I like a Gershwin tune, how about you?(...) And James Durante looks give me a thrill
- "Too Marvellous For Words"
- Take Our Word for It: "Too Marvellous for Words"You're just too marvellous, too marvellous for wordsLike "glorious", "glamorous" and that old standby "amorous".It's all too wonderful, I'll never find the wordsThat say enough, tell enough, I mean they just aren't swell enough.