Oathean (pronounced oh-THEEN) are a Korean Black Metal/Melodic Death Metal band forming in 1993 under the name Odin before changing in 1996, characterized by their use of Korean Folk instruments used alongside their music.
In 1998, they released their debut album on a now defunct label, later hiring keyboardist Hae-ryung Gu for the 2001 effort, under Do Su's personal label, Jusin Productions. Although they have toured with big name Metal bands like Kreator and Cannibal Corpse, they still remained a very underground band. For the 2004 effort, they tried to hit a more international fan-base, but have failed, and still remained a very obscure band, even when they were signed with the American label The End Records.
After a few more tours in Japan and Korea, they released Regarding all the Sadness Of The World in 2008. Although known only in Korean circles, they managed to get a bigger fan-base at least in Eastern Asia. The Self Titled was released in 2010, and they are currently touring once again.
On October 11, 2013, they announced a followup in the works, however, it didn't materialize until 2021.
- Kim Do-Su (Rhythm Guitar Vocal) (1993-Present)
- Lee Hee-Doo (Guitars) (?-2010, 2019-Present)
- Dhemian Frost (Ex-Holymarsh) (2009-2013, 2014-Present)
- The Eyes of Tremendous Sorrow (1998)
- Ten Days in Lachrymation (2001)
- When All Memories Are Shattered (EP) (2001)
- Fading Away into the Grave of Nothingness (2004)
- Regarding All the Sadness of the World (2008)
- Oathean (2010)
- The Endless Pain and Darkness (2021)
This band displays the examples of the following:
- Black Metal: A major part of the band's sound after Kim Min-Su left.
- Cover Version: "Mr.Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne
- Death Metal: Started off as one until they decided to shift following the name change. They still have strong elements of this in their albums, however.
- Despair Event Horizon: Their primary lyrical focus, made evident with song titles such as "The Endless Pain and Darkness", "The Pain and Despair of the World", and "잔인한 슬픔 (Cruel Sadness)".
- Epic Rocking: They always had fairly longer than usual songs, spanning 6 to 7 minutes, but "Oathean" is the longest, being 8 minutes long.
- Folk Metal: They had obvious Korean folk music influences in their older material.
- Genre Shift: From regular Death Metal as Odin to folk/melodic black metal afterwards, with some melodeath thrown in later on.
- I Am the Band: Kim Do-Su is the driving force behind Oathean and the only constant member in it.
- Melodic Death Metal: Makes up a good portion of their sound in later albums, but is still mostly melodic black metal.
- Revolving Door Band: Black Metal in general always had this curse, but Oathean may have it the absolute worst.
- Self-Titled Album: The 2010 effort.
- Sibling Team: Kim Do-Su and Kim Min-Su, until the latter left in 1996.
- The Smurfette Principle: Lim Ji-Nah, and Park Mie-Sun after.