Oathean (pronounced oh-THEEN) are a Korean Black Metal/Melodic Death Metal band forming in 1993 under the name Odin before changing in 1996, characterized by their use of Korean Folk instruments used alongside their music.
In 1998, they released their debut album on a now defunct label, later hiring keyboardist Hae-ryung Gu for the 2001 effort, under Do Su's personal label, Jusin Productions. Although they have toured with big name Metal bands like Kreator and Cannibal Corpse, they still remained a very underground band. For the 2004 effort, they tried to hit a more international fan-base, but have failed, and still remained a very obscure band, even when they were signed with the American label The End Records.
After a few more tours in Japan and Korea, they released Regarding all the Sadness Of The World in 2008. Although known only in Korean circles, they managed to get a bigger fan-base at least in Eastern Asia. The Self Titled was released in 2010, and they are currently touring once again.
On October 11, 2013, they announced a followup in the works, however, their current status is unknown, as the last update on their facebook was over a year ago.
- Kim Do-Su (Rhythm Guitar Vocal) (1993-Present)
- Cho Samuel (Lead Guitar) (?-Present)
- Park Mie Sun (Bass) (?-Present)
- Jung Young Shin (Drums) (2013-Present)
- The Eyes of Tremendous Sorrow (1998)
- Ten Days in Lachrymation (2001)
- When All Memories Are Shattered (EP) (2001)
- Fading Away into the Grave of Nothingness (2004)
- Regarding All the Sadness of the World (2008)
- Oathean (2010)
- TBA (2014)
This band displays the examples of the following:
- Black Metal
- Cover Version: "Mr.Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne
- Death Metal: Started off as one until they decided to shift following the name change. They still have strong elements of this in their albums, however.
- Despair Event Horizon: Their lyrical theme.
- Epic Rocking: They always had fairly longer than usual songs, spanning 6 to 7 minutes, but "Oathean" is the longest, being 8 minutes long.
- Folk Metal: They had obvious Korean folk music influences in their older material.
- I Am the Band: Kim Do-Su
- Melodic Death Metal: Makes up a good portion of their sound in later albums, but is still mostly melodic black metal.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Solid 9.
- Revolving Door Band: Black Metal in general always had this curse, but Oathean may have it the absolute worst.
- Self-Titled Album: The 2010 effort.
- Sibling Team: Kim Do-Su and Kim Min-Su, until the latter left in 1996.
- The Smurfette Principle: Lim Ji-Nah, and Park Mie-Sun after.