I don't want to be your prisoner
So baby, won't you set me free?
Stop playing with my heart
Finish what you start
When you make my love come down
If you want me, let me know
Baby, let it show
Honey, don't you fool around
Just try to understand (understand)
I've given all I can
'Cause you got the best of me
It contains her first three hits "Lucky Star", "Borderline" and "Holiday". At the time the album sold well, but got mixed reviews. After the success of her next album Like a Virgin (1985) it was re-released in Europe with a different album cover and title: Madonna The First Album. Madonna herself has somewhat of Creator Backlash over the album in the sense that she still likes the songs themselves, but felt that she didn't receive enough creative input in the production.
- "Lucky Star" (5:37)
- "Borderline" (5:18)
- "Burning Up" (3:45)
- "I Know It" (3:47)
- "Holiday" (6:08)
- "Think Of Me" (4:54)
- "Physical Attraction" (6:39)
- "Everybody" (4:57)
"Bring back all of those happy tropes":
- Break Up Song:
But I'm not gonna cry for you'Cause that's what you want me to doNo I'm not gonna cry for you anymore
- "I Know It"
Stop wastin' all my timeYou know it could have been so fineHey boy I'm waitin' on a signDon't you know there's someone elseStop thinking of yourself
- "Think Of Me"
- Canon Discontinuity: The video for "Holiday".
- Celestial Body: "Lucky Star":You must be my lucky starcause you shine on me wherever you areC'mon, shine your heavenly body tonight
- Dancing Is Serious Business:
One day to come together to release the pressureWe need a holiday
Let the music take controlFind a groove and let yourself go
- Deliberately Monochrome: The album cover is in black-and-white.
- Early Installment Weirdness: This album is much more tame than those that would follow, with most of the love songs not being overly sexual and with a total avoidance of controversial and religious imagery.
- Epic Rocking: The songs on this album are huge. Two of them, "Holiday" and "Physical Attraction", surpass six minutes, and four more are either more than or within a couple seconds of five.
- Face on the Cover: A close-up of Madonna. The 1985 European re-release after Like a Virgin became a monster success also features her in close-up on the cover, but is a totally different photo.
- Intercourse with You: "Burning Up"Do you wanna see me down on my kneesOr bending over backwards now would you be pleased?Unlike the others I'd do anythingI'm not the same, I have no shame, I'm on fire
- Latin Lover: Madonna's love interest in the music video of "Borderline".
- One-Word Title: "Borderline", "Holiday" and "Everybody".
- Pep-Talk Song: "Holiday"Put your troubles downIt's time to celebrateLet love shineAnd we will find a way to come together and make things better
- The Power of Love: "Lucky Star"You must be my lucky starCause you shine on me wherever you areI just think of you and I start to glow
- Record Producer: John "Jellybean" Benitez, Mark Kamins, and Reggie Lucas.
- Re-release the Song:"Holiday" was rereleased in 1985 and 1991 in the UK.
- Self-Titled Album: The album is named after the singer.
- Siamese Twin Songs: "Holiday" and "Everybody" both sing about singing and partying and talk about "leaving troubles behind".
- Silly Love Songs: Most of the material on this album are love songs in this vain.
- Spoken Word in Music: "Everybody" starts with a heavily synthesized and spoken introduction with Madonna taking a loud intake of breath.
- Unrequited Love:
You cause me so much pain, I think I'm going insaneWhat does it take to make you see?You just keep on pushing my love over the borderline
You're always closing your doorWell that only makes me want you moreAnd day and night I cry for your loveYou're not convinced that that is enough to justify my wanting you
- "Burning Up"