Deeds of Flesh were an American Brutal Death Metal band hailing from California. They were formed in 1993 by Jacoby Kingston, Erik Lindmark and Joey Heaslet , although Lindmark was the only member left still in the band during their activity. They founded their own label, Unique Leader Records, which has since become home to a number of other death metal bands from around the world.
In 2012, Lindmark was diagnosed with a tendinitis in his arm, leaving him only to do guitar duties in the studio. He passed away on November 29, 2018 after a brief but serious illness, and the band's current status is unknown.
- Craig Peters - Lead Guitar, Vocals (2011-2018)
- Ivan Munguia - Bass (2012-2018)
- Darren Cesca - Drums (2016-2018)
Notable Past Members:
- Erik Lindmark - Guitar, Lead Vocals (1993-2018) (deceased 2018)
- Corey Athos - Vocals (2011-2012)
- Jacoby Kingston - Bass, Vocals (1993-2007)
- Mike Hamilton - Drums (1999-2016)
- Steve Shalaty - Drums (?)
- Derek Boyer - Bass (1998)
- Erlend Caspersen - Bass (2007-2012)
- Gradually Melted (EP, 1995)
- Trading Pieces (1996)
- Inbreeding the Anthropophagi (1998)
- Path of the Weakening (1999)
- Mark of the Legion (2001)
- Reduced to Ashes (2003)
- Crown of Souls (2005)
- Of What's to Come (2008)
- Portals to Canaan (2013)
Tropes displayed by Deeds Of Flesh:
- Bald of Awesome: Erik Lindmark and Mike Hamilton
- Better to Die than Be Killed: "I Die On My Own Terms" is about a Serial Killer sentenced to death who hangs himself in his cell to avoid being executed.
- Brutal Death Metal
- Cannibal Clan: Inbreeding the Anthropophagi is about one, and is inspired by the Scottish legend of Sawney Bean and his clan. They get their comeuppance on the following album in "Execute the Anthropophagi."
- Concept Album: Of What's to Come kicked off a conceptual story that was continued with Portals to Canaan.
- Epic Rocking:
- "The Endurance" from Reduced to Ashes is 11:47 minutes long
- "Entranced in Decades of Psychedelic Sleep" from Portals to Canaan is 6:38 minutes.
- Gorn: A common lyrical theme up till Of What's To Come
- I Am the Band: Erik Lindmark.
- Lead Bassist: Kingston was a type B and C, while Boyer and Caspersen were both a type A.
- Ivan, the current bassist, is a type A and arguable C due to his status within the California tech scene.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 10 to a Standard 11.
- New Sound Album: Of What's to Come was a genre shift to technical death metal, introducing guitar solos that were absent before it.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: "Path of the Weakening"
- Revolving Door Band
- Signature Style: Dissonant Brutal Death metal with lots of atonal palm-muted tremolo riffs, odd time signatures aplenty, and a general sense of cyclical progression with the riffs.
- Special Guest: Matti Way does backing vocals for Inbreeding The Anthropophagi
- In Return, Erik does guest/session vocals for Disgorge, Viral Load, Flesh Consumed, and Prophecy.
- Technical Death Metal: Their later albums veered into this subgenre.