Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san (Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san in Japan) is a Shonen Jump manga centering on the career of the police officer Kiruko Otonashi. She is attractive, loyal, wears an eyepatch, wields two tonfa-blades capable of slicing cars in half wait. what?
The story begins at the Nagashima Substation with the lazy, perverted parole officer Haruki Anjō, who continually gets his pay cut by his boss, Kanjūrō Tsutsui. When Tsutsui mentions a busty new policewoman arriving, Anjō asks to train her as an officer, not realising that Tsutsui tricked him into having an Ax-Crazy Cloudcuckoolander Genki Girl with superhuman speed and strength gained from her past life as a mercenary. However, being a mercenary is all Kiruko knows how to do, and so Anjō and Kiruko must fight against crime without having Kiruko accidentally destroy the city as well.
Debuting in late 2012, this comedy manga was axed in May of 2013.
Kiruko-san provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl:
- Kiruko of course! Given that she is not only a policewoman who tries to fit in the Nagashima substation and tries to capture criminals, but is also a former mercenary with superhuman powers that she ends up using to capture criminals. Needless to say, the criminals are pretty traumatized by Kiruko's actions.
- Chiaki also qualify as this, given that she is also a member of the police force and tries to help Kiruko infiltrate Jean's ship in order to capture him.
- A-Cup Angst: Chiaki doesn't like it when some people, especially Anjo, mention her cup size, that is pretty small compared to Kiruko's. This is also a Berserk Button for her.
- Affably Evil: Despite being a Big Bad from Chapter 16 onwards, Jean Smith is a pretty friendly and polite person towards his companions and enemies alike. He also never loses his cool, keeps his polite demeanour even if he commits criminal acts and accepts defeat gracefully after Kiruko captures him.
- Always Second Best: Played for laughs in Chapter 5 and a driving conflict. Kiruko feels sad when it comes to competing with Chiaki or Bullet, as she feels inferior to both of them due to either lacking in the appealing factor towards the children from both of them or things like clothes or diet in the former's case.
- Big Bad: The young business director, Jean Smith, is the closest one this series had. He's the one behind almost all of the bad things happening in the series and has a major goal, to establish an evil organization in the little town of Nagashima by building a weapon smuggling ring.
- Big Eater: Kiruko-san loves melon-bread. Despite her thin appearance, she ate several dozens loaves after a depressing reunion with Bullet. And in this same chapter, Kiruko is cheered up with a box full of sweets and cakes. And when Kiruko decides to go on a diet instead of eating the sweats, she tries desperately to resist by biting her lips until they bleed.
- Butt-Monkey: Anjo always gets the most misery of all the main cast, such as being tricked into being paired with an Ax-Crazy ex-mercenary who tries to fit in with the police force which ended up having his salary cut after said ex-mercenary causes some trouble such as causing property damage when capturing some criminals, being used as a human shield, getting his stash of porn magazines either confiscated or burned when Chiaki ends up being put in charge as a leader in Nagashima substation, being taken as a hostage by Jean and his men and so on. Yet all of this is played for laughs.
- Eyepatch of Power: Kiruko-san. Well, she does have an eye-patch on her left eye and she does have a superhuman powers to compensate for it, given that she is a former mercenary after all.
- Flash Step: Due to her experience as a mercenary, Kiruko-san does have supernatural speed unfathomable to men that she uses to capture some criminals.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Anjō...He seems to take interest in groping girls with big breasts and he keeps a stash of porn magazines in his office. There are some running jokes that center around him being a sex offender.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Kiruko-san, along with her eyepatch
- Any flashback of Kiruko-san that depicts her before needing an eyepatch does this, so her left eye is never shown.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: Cerberus-kun.