For as long as there have been dogs and cats, there's been an unending hatred between the two species. The two sides have had multiple wars, and even when all other animals have put aside their differences and worked together, cats and dogs have utterly refused to be friends.
Oscar is a young dog who's going to camp with his family, and Molly is a young cat going to camp as well. And of course, the instant they and their families cross paths, they hate each other immediately and get to bickering.
Some days into the vacation, Oscar discovers Molly's gone missing while chasing a butterfly, not that he cares about a missing cat. Then some time later, Oscar spies a flying squirrel and goes running after it. In fact, he chases it for so long that, when he's decided he's had enough, he finds he has no idea where he is.
Naturally, both their families are devastated. The other families all start combing the forest looking for them, along with the forest ranger teams, but even their missing kids aren't enough to get the cat and dog families to put aside their differences to work together.
Meanwhile, Oscar and Molly run into each other in the woods. While they do the usual cat-dog hatred thing at first, they eventually decide they'd have a better chance of getting home if they work together. From there, the two start learning more about each other, and a genuine friendship begins sparking between them.
Katt Vs. Dogg contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: For both Molly's and Oscar's families. Imagine the thought of your child running off and getting lost in the woods.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Both Oscar and Molly are very easily distracted by small animals.
- The Dreaded: Weasel-Boars. Weasels with Boar heads, they combine the worst of both into vicious predators.
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: Molly's mother and father don't approve of her dream of being an actor. They tell her she should focus more on traditional cat things, like napping.
- Female Feline, Male Mutt: Molly and Oscar respectively, of course.
- Funny Animal: Well of course.
- Hypocritical Humor: When Oscar gets distracted by a small animal and starts chasing it, Molly yells at him to stop and focus on getting them home. When Oscar stops, an insect passes by, and Molly immediately starts chasing after it, ignoring Oscar when he tries to remind her of what they're trying to do.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: The story contains quite a few of them. There's the forest ranger Hawk-Owl, her Moose-Horse steed, Wolf-Bears, Alligator-Lions, and a Cat-Dog Oscar and Molly meet in the woods. There's also Weasel-Boars.
- Not So Different: Both Oscar and Molly both have a tendency to be easily distracted by a desire to chase any small animal that they see.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Oscar and Molly start out as this. It changes overtime.
- Versus Title