Dragon Queen is a Web Serial Novel about Trava, a girl who runs her family's tavern now that her father has fallen ill. Dragon Queen takes place in a Standard Fantasy Setting where dragons are feared above near all, but while many fantasy protagonists have a long-lost father, Trava has a long-lost mother.
And when she sets out to the strange land of Arden to find her on her father's request and on the advice of a strange old man, things get a little messy...
Dragon Queen contains examples of:
- Alcohol-Induced Stupidity: The old man acts even more ridiculous when he's drunk.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Both Trava and Sajag are outsiders from the rest of the village, Trava for her heterochromia and being the daughter of a blind man, Sajag for being a dwarf and not from the village.
- Animorphism: The old man can willingly transform himself into a black bird and back again; as a bird, he can still talk.
- Attack Its Weak Point: The only way to kill a dragon is to shoot out its eyes.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Sajag doesn't like to talk about why he left Arden or why he can't go back. It turns out to be because he'd killed a man there and had almost been executed for it, with his family probably to be killed if he ever returned.
- Dragon Hoard: The Dragon Queen has one, according to the old man.
- The Dreaded: Just mentioning dragons is enough to frighten the entire bar, and Trava estimates that if the old man keeps talking about them people would up and leave.
- Family Business: Running the tavern is the family business for Trava and her father, with Trava having taken over most of the work now that her father is ill.
- Fantastic Racism: Dwarfs aren't treated well by humans in Arden, which is why Sajag doesn't want to see the old man who had been there.
- The Hero: Trava.
- I Have Many Names: The old man claims to have many names.
- Last Request: Trava's father has two for her: to take care of the tavern, and to find her mother and tell her that he still loves her. After the old man burns the tavern down, Trava decides to try to at least fulfill the second one.
- Missing Mom: One of Trava's main goals is finding her mother.
- No Name Given: The old man never gets an opportunity to give a name, as Trava interrupts him and tells him to get on with the story before he starts talking about his name.
- Orphaned Series: The serial only has eight chapters, and stopped updating in March of 2015.
- Prophet Eyes: Trava's father has eyes with white pupils ever since he went blind as a child.
- Tell Me About My Father: Gender-flipped; Trava's father won't tell her about her mother, but the old man offers to.
- True Beauty Is on the Inside: According to Trava's father, this is why he fell for Trava mother. She might have been attractive, but he couldn't tell, because he was blind.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Trava's father thinks the best of everyone, which is why Trava takes what he says about how wonderful her mother was with a grain of salt.
- You All Meet in an Inn: Where the story starts.