Another highly successful text adventure from 4chan, by someone who goes by the name Gnome. Unlike the other notable text adventure, Dorf Quest is mostly built upon the pillars of Rule of Cool and Rule of Funny, making just about everything possible.
Beardbeard is a dorf who set out on an adventure to get a name for himself, earn some cash, and get drunk. Other characters include Garrelf, the only manly elf in existence, Aldwin the human rogue, the neckbeard apprentice Lily, and the orc Cultist of Xom. The threads can be found here.
This game provides examples for:
- A God Am I: As of the most recent thread, Beardbeard is the God of Strength after defeating Heracles. Although it would fit the trope better to say it was the fan reaction to it (since they, after all, ultimately control Beardbeard.)
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Among many other horrible crimes, Rary the wizard is also wanted for dine-and-dashing.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Garrelf's apparently took four days, and mostly involved non-stop sex with the queen.
- Captain Ersatz: Cultist is one of "Cultist-chan", a parody of the Chaos Cultists of the first Dawn of War game.
- Cast Herd: Beardbeard and Garrelf. Aldwin, Lily, and Cultist. Later, Garrelf and Arialla.
- Catapult Nightmare: Whenever Aldwin remembers a certain horrific event in his dreams...
- Cerebus Syndrome: Started out as random craziness, but developed a real plot later on.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: Xom's blessing is something everyone knows about, but it hits so infrequently that its always out of nowhere.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Xom, being the god of chaos, is a random, cackling fool. However, if he ever becomes serious he can be a deadly force: the planet used to have three moons at some point.
- Eviler than Thou: The showdown between Garrelf and Beardbeard, both having been declared the big bads of the world.
- Fate Worse than Death: Queen Arialla. She deserved it, though.
- Fight Unscene: Man that was an epic battle. Good thing I didn't draw it panel by panel - just the Lasso Scene would have taken forever!
- Improvised Weapon: Doorshield, Axefoot. This is one of Beardbeard's powers: 'Anything is a weapon'.
- In the Back: Partly subverted: Glittergold challenged the god Oona for a fair battle in order to gain her divinity for himself... except that she was currently on her deathbed because he had poisoned her for an entire year beforehand.Rary: Very sportsmanlike of him.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Poor Mado was largely motivated by getting her friend/lover back to life, only to forget her entirely by a convenient head wound just before she finally came back.
- Never Found the Body: Garrelf went missing recently, after apparently dying. Word of God says he's still kicking.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Beardbeard Godslayer didn't earn that last name for no reason. And his current plans involve usurping a different deity.
- Retcon: The father of Cultist's child was changed due to fan outrage. Although Gnome hadn't exactly revealed the true father at that point, only strongly hinting it, it still counts.
- Ship Tease: Gnome gleefully supports all shipping with art.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Girls are pink! And gods are blue! In fact, the widespread acceptance of this trope allowed Kav to be noticed as a girl long before people knew anything about her.
- Willfully Weak:
- Mado is holding back her true strength so that she could remain as Nevada's apprentice instead of being moved elsewhere.
- Also applies to Garrelf. He can 'power up' by taking off his bracers, but its a one-way ticket to eternal banishment.