Turn Left at the End of the World (סוף העולם שמאלה, Sof Ha'Olam Smola) is a 2004 Israeli film directed by Avi Nesher, starring Neta Gerti and Liraz Charhi. Most of the dialog is in Hebrew, but some of it is in French, English and Moroccan Arabic.
The story takes place in an immigrant town in the middle of the Negev desert south of Israel in the sixties. Two teenagers, one from a Moroccan family, and one from an Indian family, form a friendship, as the film explores the hardships of the lives of immigrants in Israel in the era.
The film provides examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch Lesbians: an Avi Nesher staple.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Sarah does this on her father after finding out he has been cheating on her mom.
- Coming-of-Age Story: for Sarah and Nicole.
- Daddy's Girl: Sarah, until the pedestal is broken.
- Doesn't Trust Those Guys: The main attitude in town - the Moroccans don't trust the Indians, the Indians don't trust the Moroccans, and none of them trust the Ashkenazi (European Jews).
- Femme Fatale: Simone.
- Fille Fatale: Nicole. Eventually subverted
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Nicole is Foolish in comparison to her older sister Jossi, who has a job and is about to marry "the right guy".
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Sarah is the Light to Nicole's Dark.
- Love Triangle: Nicole Likes Asaf (and Asaf falls for nicole), but Moshe is also into Nicole. Mr. Talkar is married, and his wife loves him, but he is having an affair with Simone.
- Ms. Fanservice: Nicole. She appears nude more than once, and has a flirtatious dancing scene.
- Opposites Attract: Sarah and Gabi - she is gentle and shy and he is hot-tempered and extroverted.
- Parents as People: Sarah's father.
- Proud Beauty: Nicole.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Nicole and the teacher Asaf. At first she is Hot for Teacher, then it becomes mutual. than it stops being mutual, seeing how All Love Is Unrequited.
- The Tease: Nicole.
- With Friends Like These...: Nicole and Etty were best friends until Sarah came to town. That Nicole befriends Sarah, and Etty starts saying mean things about Nicole to the people in town, and pushes Moshe's buttons to start fights with Nicole.
- You Go, Girl!: If you don't cheer for Mrs. Talkar when she does the jinx on Simone, you're not human.
- Your Cheating Heart: Sarah's father (with Simone).