Red Rover is a 2004 movie starring William Baldwin and Jodi Lyn O'Keefe. Kylie and Will Logan have inherited a house belonging to their mother's family. Will takes Kylie to the house as an opportunity to spend some time with her, despite her misgivings and those of his wife. Kylie witnessed their mother burn to death in childhood and has spent most of her life in and out of institutions for her psychotic depression. Will, a psychotherapist, decides to keep them there and begin therapy with Kylie himself, taking her off her medication as part of it. Strange things start to happen as their family's history of witchcraft and the occult becomes clear.
Not to be confused with the children's rhyme and game (though it's used as a motif).
This film contains examples of:
- Abandoned Area: No one has been on Sutton Island in decades.
- Creepy Basement
- Creepy Cemetery: There's a small private cemetery on the island.
- Creepy Child: Toby, Erica in a flashback.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Raven-haired Kylie tends to look disconnected.
- Generation Xerox: Kylie has all the power of her grandmother; she just had to discover it.
- Haunted Heroine: A partial example — we know full well from the first scene that Kylie is messed up and traumatized.
- Ironic Nursery Tune: "Ring Around the Rosie" and "Red Rover" feature heavily in the film.
- Lovecraft Country: New Brunswick, Canada, is portrayed as this.
- New House, New Problems: Technically, the house is very old and has been headed for their ownership for a while, but they never knew about it.
- Only Sane Man: Inverted with Kylie, who has severe mental problems but is the only one to see what's going on.
- Personal Horror: Kylie. She killed her mother with her powers, and all of Kylie's problems and life events since then have revolved around her denial of what she is. The film ends with her acceptance and owning of her powers.
- Spooky Painting/Spooky Photographs: The painting of Erica Sutton, photos of Erica and Toby.
- Supernatural-Proof Father: Older brother, with Will.
- Tell Me About My Mother: Will does this with the locals, and it's the reason for the trip (specifically, their mother's family).
- Town with a Dark Secret: It's implied that the town knows exactly what goes on at Sutton Island.