Fat Camp is a 2017 made-for-TV movie starring Saturday Night Live cast member Chris Redd as an unemployed college graduate who having failed to find a job worthy of his Psychology major finds himself getting forced to work at Camp Vision. He has no enthusiasm in his newfound job until his boss (Big Mike) offers a $5,000 reward for the counselor whose kids lose the highest percentage rate of fat. Critics gave mixed to unimpressed reactions for the film.
This film features examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Hutch's mother, who constantly attacks his self-esteem and forcibly kicks him out of the house.
- An Aesop: Be honest to those around you.
- Big Bad: Douglas.
- Dance Party Ending: The dance party is actually the climax and serves as the trigger of the happy ending. Charlie and the fat kids wearing golden speedos strip-dance in front of women.
- Dull Surprise: It seemed obvious that Hutch would win the contest for which counselor can lose the highest fat percentage of their children, since none of Hutch's competitors were introduced on-screen.
- Fat Bastard: While the film doesn't particularly have an out-of-shape antagonist, it points out that many overweight to obese people tend to do selfish things because of their weight such as 1) cheating on mandated diets and 2) thinking they qualify as love interests for those who are just as or even fatter than they are.
- Fat Camp: Although the fat camp employees minus Hutch prefer calling it "fitness camp". The fat camp wasn't doing well in attendance, but seeing that Mike who is really fat himself is the face of the camp, it may have scared away potential clients.
- Hypocrite: Hutch and Mike display signs of being these.
- A lot of the fat camp counselors are obese themselves. Hutch and Abby seem to be the only exceptions.
- Jerk-to-Nice-Guy Plot: Hutch becomes a much better and more compassionate person in the end than in the beginning, although he still does tend to use distasteful vocabulary at inappropriate times.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Hutch kept humiliating and insulting his fat kids to the point that they resorted to cheat on their diet and indulge on fattening sugary snacks. Hutch scolds them all for only gaining weight and quits being their counselor until Abby lectures him it's his own fault for stressing out his fat kids. This makes Hutch return and apologize but point out to them that they can't just eat their way out of problems or else they'll just become fatter and maintain the same problems.
- Mike offering a $5000 bonus prize to the counselor who is the most successful in downsizing his/her kids ended up doing more harm than good because it motivated Hutch to be a lot more aggressive to the fat kids.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Hutch gives and receives a lot of these.
- Take This Job and Shove It: Hutch detested the fat camp before he even got hired because he used to be a client being forced by his mother to go there for being obese.
- You Are Fat: Take a drink each time you notice someone getting fat shamed, or someone complaining about fat people.
- Your Cheating Heart: Candace chooses to sleep with Hutch instead of Charlie when both Hutch and Charlie had told her that Charlie's the one who wants her affection.