Cabin Boy is a 1994 fantasy comedy film co-produced by Tim Burton, directed by Adam Resnick, and starring Chris Elliott (Get a Life).
- Adorkable: What Calli thinks about Nathaniel after he attempts to answer her riddles with logic and the proper use of high society manners, as well as being the standard Upper-Class Twit.
- Anachronism Stew: Nathaniel Mayweather is attending a boarding school that looks like it is out of 1800's Britain, complete with powdered wigs. A modern limousine exists, yet long distance travel is still by ocean liner. The Filthy Whore has antique fishing equipment yet also has a microwave thrown in randomly.
- The Cabin Boy: A foppish "Fancy Lad" mistakenly boards a fishing boat ran by filthy, foul-mouthed sailors who make him their cabin boy.
- The Cameo: David Letterman appears in one scene as the "Old Salt in the Fishing Village", credited under the pseudonym Earl Hofert (which was Letterman's maternal grandfather's name).
- Half-Human Hybrid: Chockie, who is said to be "half man, half shark".
- Ocean Madness: When Nathaniel is left on a raft alone he not only drinks the seawater but sees a tobacco spitting, foul mouthed floating cupcake.
- Seadog Beard: Some impressive ones.◊
- Sex as Rite-of-Passage: Nathaniel visiting Calli is this. He comes out of her cave with gusto.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Nathaniel starts out as one - he spends most of the first third of the movie as a self-centered snob who condescends to pretty much everyone he meets, so that any subsequent misfortune or humiliation he receives is seen as comeuppance. As he starts getting a bit of Character Development, the humor starts being more about his being a naive City Mouse instead.
- Upper-Class Twit