Reverse RWBY is a Fan Verse that acts as an Alternate Universe of the show. It was inspired by a Tumblr post by the colorinplatinum. Bastart13 took the post and rolled with the idea, creating fan-art and ideas based off of it.
In this verse, the heroes of RWBY are antagonists while the villains are heroic. The main cast consists of team ERMN— Emerald. Roman, Mercury, and Neo —and team WTCH—Watts, Tyrian, Cinder, and Hazel.
Bastart13's posts in the AU can be seen here.
This fan-verse provides examples of:
- Abled in the Adaptation: Played with. Both Cinder and Ruby lose one of their eyes, but keep all their limbs, unlike in canon, where Cinder lost both her arm and eye, but Ruby got away unscathed.
- Abusive Parents:
- Cinder grew up with an abusive family. She awakened her Maiden powers early and used them to run away.
- Mercury was raised by his abusive father Markus, but he was saved at a young age.
- Tyrian was ran out of his home for being a scorpion Faunus. He was taken in by a ringleader but ran off because she didn't care for him.
- The Ace: Mercury takes Pyrrha's place as a world-renowned skilled fighter.
- Adaptational Heroism: Most of the villains are heroes. For example, Salem now runs Beacon from the shadows.
- Adaptational Relationship Overhaul: Obviously applies to a lot of characters, but team WTCH are here a close-knit group of True Companions, as opposed to the Teeth-Clenched Teamwork they have in canon.
- Adaptational Villainy: Heroic characters like Ruby and Oz are now either Anti Villains or outright villains.
- Age Lift: Ages are shifted around. Team WTCH are all teenagers, and the Schnee siblings are adults, with Whitley being the oldest and Willow being his young daughter. Ruby is a few years older than her canon self.
- Badass Boast: Mercury gets one before his death, telling his opponent even without a Semblance he'll still fight.
- Big Brother Instinct:
- Played for Drama. Yang is around simply to protect her sister Ruby. She cares for Ruby to an unhealthy manner and will get violent towards anyone who tries to hurt her.
- Hazel, the largest and strongest of team WTCH, sees Cinder as his little sister, though she rarely needs protection.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Raven's family includes her brother Qrow, perpetual drunkard and head of a bandit tribe; her daughter Yang, enforcer for Ozpin and a mountain of anger issues; and her stepdaughter Ruby, who's going to make her idealism everyone else's problem. By force.Cinder: What sort of messed-up family reunion is this?
- Body Surf: Just like in canon Ozpin reincarnates upon his death in a new body, but instead of sharing control with his host, he robs them of all autonomy with rather horrifying results.
- Broken Pedestal: Team WTCH learns that Ozpin's soul can never be destroyed and lose all faith in Salem as she never let them think she might be keeping secrets. Salem's reaction is to leave them to pursue her goals alone, realizing how upset everyone is.
- Childhood Friends: Neo and Roman are two friends from Brunswick Farm.
- Death by Adaptation:
- Mercury is killed by Ruby after trying to fight her on Beacon Tower, as Pyrrha was killed by Cinder in canon.
- On a similar note, Nora dies after being killed by Grimm while fighting Ruby, leaving Ren to mourn for her as Neo did in canon for Roman.
- Former Bigot: Watts is initially loudly prejudiced against faunus, similar to Weiss in canon, but he re-examines his biases after learning that Tyrian is a scorpion faunus.
- Happily Adopted: As a child, Mercury was saved from his abusive father and taken in by someone else.
- Hide Your Otherness: Tyrian initially hides his scorpion tail out of fear for anti-faunus prejudice.
- Non-Action Guy: While Hazel, Cinder and Tyrian are all fighters, Arthur prefers to gather intelligence and work with tech.
- Parental Abandonment: Emerald is an orphan who was raised by a group of thieving orphans.
- Spared By Adaptation:
- Unlike in canon, Roman isn't killed by Grimm and lives to go to Atlas.
- Tock is also not killed by Maria, being an old lady now.
- Tragic Keepsake: Emerald wears Mercury's sash and parts of his prosthetics as armor in memory of him.
- Weak, but Skilled: Just like in canon, Mercury lacks a Semblance and instead works hard to prove you don't need to have a special power to be a hero, becoming a world-renown fighter.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Ruby genuinly believes that she is making the world better by working with Ozpin, hoping to use the relics to put an end to Grimm and suffering. And she will kill anyone she needs to to reach those goals.
- White Sheep: Whitley is the last remaining "good Schnee". He tries to follow in his grandfather's footsteps.