The story begins with Hua Mulan's ailing father being enlisted in the war. Unwilling to let him die in the war, Mulan decides to pass as a man and enlist as his eldest son. Drama occurs when Mulan feels mixed about living as a man.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Sexuality:
- Shang is explicitly bisexual instead of Ambiguously Bi.
- Instead of being a straight woman, Ping is a queer man.
- Adaptation Name Change: Mulan's surname is written as its traditional "Hua", instead of the Cantonese "Fa" that Disney went with.
- Bittersweet Ending: Ping has a bad reunion with his mother, but decides to move on with his life, with Shang by his side.
- Canon Foreigner:
- Ping has an adult sister and an infant brother. This is taken from various versions of the story where Mulan has siblings.
- Zhang Wei takes the place of Mushu. Later subverted when Mushu does appear.
- Patchwork Fic: Though primarily based off of Disney's interpretation of Mulan, the story takes elements from various incarnations of The Ballad of Mulan.
- Practically Different Generations: There's an over thirteen year age gap between Ping and Yao Er (and an even larger one between Yao Er and his older sister). This gap means that Yao Er doesn't remember Ping after Ping's been gone in the army for ten years. He doesn't remember that Ping was still living as "Mulan" before he left.
- Reality Ensues: Ping uses bandages to bind his chest. Bandages are a painful and dangerous way to bind. Ping feels chest and rib pain while binding.
- Slash Fic: Ping being a trans man turns Shang's relationship with him into a Queer Romance.
- What If?: What if Mulan was a trans man instead of a Sweet Polly Oliver?