The story starts when Truth-kun gets bored after losing a game of Connect Four to Al's body. So, he decides to send the Ed boys to the other side of the Gate, just to see what would happen. Along the way, the Eds encounter an Ishvalan orphan, who plays the part of the Only Sane Man.
- Action Girl: Calla's first appearance consisted of stabbing a guy in the knee...with a fork!
- Amusing Injuries: Every time Edward smacks Eddy with his metal arm, drink...
- Beautiful Dreamer
- Berserk Button: For anyone familiar with FMA, there's the whole "Don't-call-Ed-a-pipsqueak" thing.
- Buttmonkey: Eddy.
- Five-Man Band: The Ed boys:
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Eddy is choleric, Edd is melancholic, Ed is sanguine, and Calla is phlegmatic.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Calla, though it goes for all Ishbalans as an ethnic trait.
- Deadpan Snarker: Edd. Calla as well.
- Did You Just Beat Cthulhu at Connect Four?
- Dumb Blond/Brainy Brunette: Inverted with Edd and Eddy, respectively; Double D is blond, but he's still The Smart Guy, while Eddy has black hair, but is no less an Idiot Hero.
- Jerkass: Eddy.
- Medium Awareness: Word of God says that the reason Eddy started cussing is because he knew he was now in a series where he could get away with it.
- No Fourth Wall
- Trademark Favorite Food: For Ed, buttered toast, obviously.
- Calla loves the taste of pomegranate, and in fact this is how Ed Elric warms up to her
- For Envy, chocolate parfaits.