A Legend of Korra fanfic by A03 user Dandybear, set between "The Stakeout" and "Long Live the Queen". The Red Lotus, in between trying to overthrow the Earth Kingdom government, make a stop at Deni's, an all-night diner somewhere between the Si Wong Desert and Ba Sing Se.
On the recommendations list.
a million miles of fun provides examples of:
- all lowercase letters: The title.
- Big Eater: Tall, lithe P'Li orders off the family value menu—which, although it doesn't explicitly serve twelve people, certainly adds up to at least enough food for all of the other three put together, if the waitress asking if it's to share is any indication—and is actually that hungry. Guess combustionbenders must have blast-furnace metabolisms."The truckers on the other side of the restaurant are eating fruit tarts and staring open mouthed as she packs away a party platter single handed."
- Bland-Name Product: "Deni's."
- Crack Fic: And one that pulls off taking itself entirely seriously, no less.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: The "Grand Slam Croquette" is a fritter containing boiled eggs, duck sausage, curried pork, red bean paste, and sticky rice. The description garners a cringe from Ghazan.
- The Ditherer: Zaheer is that guy who takes his sweet time ordering. Based on the other three's response (or lack thereof), this is par for the course.
- Funny Background Event: Aside from P'Li and her appetite being something of a stealth Running Gag, we also have the following treasure:Restaurant Manager: Until the currency situation is rectified we ask that spirit customers pay us in human money. I don't care if they told you they'd bless your family's crops for the next year.
- Greasy Spoon: This particular Deni's is apparently a truck stop. Which serves Cordon Bleugh monstrosities that make anarchists cringe. And has a few cases of food poisoning on its record.
- The Hyena: Ming-Hua apparently finds everything hilarious when sleep-deprived.
- Kitschy Themed Restaurant: Apparently, the Avatarverse has 24-hour chain restaurants.
- Lethal Eatery: It's revealed that the Red Lotus have been patronizing this restaurant chain since they escaped, and that Ming-Hua had something...repeat on her...at least once. Make that "at least twice."
- Must Have Caffeine: Downplayed, as befits P'Li's character, but she really wants chi-enhancing tea at the beginning.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Ghazan's canonical tendencies in that direction are emphasized to the point that he verges on Token Good Teammate status.
- Running Gag: Again: P'Li's absurdly prodigious appetite.
- Ship Tease: There are definite Mingzan hints.
- Shout-Out: The title itself is a song reference. Ghazan's cringe at the "Grand Slam Croquette" is a reference to Pink's reaction to the description of the "Grand Slamwich" in the second charlie the unicron video. And not only does P'Li know what she's about when she's ordering, but the tea for which she's fiending at the beginning is implied to be the same sort that Aang was given in "The Avatar State."
- Toilet Humor: Where to start?
- Too Much Information: Case in point: Ghazan's brain-to-mouth filter seems to be out of commission (and Ming-Hua promptly hangs a lampshade on it).Ming-Hua: "That is lovely, Ghazan, thank you for sharing with everyone."
- Villains Out Shopping: It's a Quirky Miniboss Squad at an all-night diner, so...yeah.