In the Shadow of Gods is a fanfic Crossover of Halo and Mass Effect. When Abigail Shepard responds to a distress beacon from a team of scientists investigating the remains of a mysterious warship, the last thing she expects to encounter is a super soldier that somebody else- somebody who hates her with a vengeance- is after for reasons unknown. The work can be found here.
In the Shadow of Gods provides examples of:
- Ace Pilot: Joker manages to catch Shepard and the Chief, who are flying through space after jumping off the Athens, in one of Normandy's side ports.
- Aliens Speaking English: Averted. The Chief can't understand what Tali and Garrus are saying.
- Chunky Salsa Rule: Master Chief's first kill of the story has him crushing a mook's face with one hand.
- The Dead Have Names: Shepard remembers the names of all of the people she couldn't save.
- Doctor's Orders: When Shepard finally goes to get checked out, Chakwas goes beyond just ordering her around, she gives a full-on reprimand. The legendary Commander Shepard is reduced to cringing like a guilty teenager being lectured by her mother, complete with a Full-Name Ultimatum.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: In the first chapter, Shepard thinks for a moment about how she used to correct herself when referring to EDI as "she". She deduces that Master Chief considers Cortana to be a person since he refers to her as "she" and not it.
- Hired Guns: The mercenaries that attack the Athens.
- Made of Iron: Master Chief. He calmly catalogues his numerous injuries while simultaneously shooting and smashing his way through dozens of mooks.
- Moe Greene Special: Shepard does this to a mook while considering the implications of Master Chief's use of a military rank as identification.
- No One Gets Left Behind: Chief's attitude towards Cortana. He's completely unwilling to abandon her, especially after doing so once before during the events of Halo 2.
- One-Man Army: Master Chief. Shepard to a slightly lesser extent.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: The mysterious Big Bad shoots down one of her own fighters so that she can be the one to (try to) kill Shepard.
- Sealed Badass in a Can: Master Chief. He punches his way out.
- Straight for the Commander: A mercenary sniper tries to do this to Shepard, but ends up shooting Tali instead.
- This Is Gonna Suck: When the mercenaries realize that they're under attack from Abigail Shepard, one of them interjects on the radio with an unwelcome (but very accurate) "We're fucked."
- Would Not Shoot a Civilian: Averted by the mercenaries, who have no compunctions about murdering all of the scientists aboard the Athens.