Hoenn Wars is a Pokémon fic by Bulbagardens forum member Sarcastically Insane, as part of fellow forum member Instrutilus's Travelsverse.
It follows the events of Hoenn as Teams Aqua and Magma spark a war with each other as a food shortage crisis occurs and a terrorist bombing destroys the Lilycove Department Store. Originally a failed RP (or two), it was recently fic-ified.
There are, so far, three viewpoints: Ricky Fowler, created from the character of the same name from the failed RPs who was played by forum member Hide In Plain Sight. He is a black-ops team leader from Team Magma, receiving a new team just before the beginning of the war. The second, Antoinette La Rosa, is a sergeant in Team Aqua with her own team to handle, originally played by forum member Feliciano. The third viewpoint is Amber, a grandniece of Wattson, who is an original character for the fic.
Other major characters are Silver, Maxie's adopted son and old teammate to Ricky, A.D., visiting from Kanto when the war starts, Maxie, Team Magma's cold and calculating leader, Archie, Team Aqua's boisterous leader, and the teams of Ricky and Antoinette.
This work contains examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Rex.
- Badass Bookworm: Alden Olden, definitely. The universe hates him, but he's still alive. Silver probably also counts- it's offhandedly mentioned he trained with Savannah when she learned Krav Maga.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Archie, definitely. Loud, Hot-Blooded, and acts like a pirate captain.
- The Chessmaster: Ricky describes Silver this way, saying he spends all his free time tinkering and planning. It seems that he got it from Maxie, whom A.D. notes is probably plotting his way through Archie's smuggling of guns.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Archie acts like this.
- Cosmic Plaything: Alden's introduction gives him as this.
- Crazy-Prepared: Ricky, to the point of Properly Paranoid.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Archie after the bombing. Maxie returns in kind.
- Double Entendre and Incredibly Lame Pun: Archie and his submarine.
- Extended Disarming: When Ricky goes to talk with Maxie, he is searched, and has three knives, a small handgun, garrote wire, a Tazer, and a small charge for breaking locks taken from him.
- Groin Attack: Amber's attempted abductors get this. First, a flying knee to the crotch, then Electrike kicks them.
- Handsome Lech: Ricky. Donovan also seems to have traces of this; Antoinette notes that he's rather good at extracting information from girls.
- Insistent Terminology: Amber is not "short". She is "vertically challenged". Do not forget this.
- Little Girls Kick Shins: Amber if you call her a little girl.
- The Napoleon: Amber is 16, and incredibly short. If you imply this, you will know why she is known as Terror Of The Shins.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Archie. Behind all his screwing around and stupid jokes, he gives Antoinette the chills just by talking to her. And then, in his next appearance, massacres an entire hidden port by himself; no Pokemon, just a cutlass and pistol.
- Properly Paranoid: Ricky, Antoinette, Maxie, and probably Archie. They've all gotten rather good at not dying.
- Pyromaniac: Possibly Caleb. He got a flamethrower from Silver, and apparently despises the cold.
- Sherlock Scan: Ricky does this to the room he meets Maxie in. Actually, eighteen times, just to be sure.
- Technically a Smile: Maxie.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Donovan's file notes him as this.
- True Companions: Ricky notes that he can count the people he trusts on one hand. Specifically invoked between him, Silver, and whoever Johnnie is.
- Waif-Fu: Savannah. Petite, quite, probably sheltered girl? She knows Krav Maga and kicked the ass of an Infernape alone. Antoinette may also qualify; she definitely did in the past.
- War Fic: Duh.