It's just another day in the land of Ooo where Ice King is rambling about humans until suddenly, an amnesiac human in Ooo suddenly came from the sky whom Ice King somehow is familiar with. Little do they know however, the arrival of this mysterious human would suddenly begin a series of events that might change Ooo forever.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Heroism: Even if the fan fiction is released before the revelation that Gunter turned out to be the alien conqueror Orgalorg, this version of Gunter is far nicer that her original counterpart where she truly cares for the Ice King whereas the canon version is apathetic at best.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Simon suffers from this even before he became the Ice King. As a human, he is ostracized by other people due to his strange habits with Betty's friends trying to convince her to just cancel the engagement. As the Ice King, many people call him a freak to the point that soldiers are sent just to kill him. Also when Finn thinks that being the only one of their kind is awesome, Marceline proceeds to shoot back as to how being a Half-Human Hybrid caused her to be discriminated by everyone including humans and demons.
- Alternate Universe Fic: This story is set before episode "The Lich" with Simon and Betty having a different background.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: One one hand, you have Barton and the surviving humans whom are plotting to take over Ooo, on the other hand, you have the spirit of the crown that is trying to take over Simon's mind, and tries to return Ooo into a new Ice age, then you have Ash and the other wizards taking advantage of this commotion to rule over both humans and Ooo.
- Body Horror: The aftermath of Damon's possession by the Ice Crown gives us a wonderful description of what happened to his severely crippled body in the process.
- Despair Event Horizon: Simon crosses this twice in his lifetime, the first is when Betty canceled her engagement and left him after he becomes insane after he put on the crown with Damon stating that Simon has lost his job and is under complete depression. The second is when the Ice King regains the memories of his life as a human and he begins seeing himself as a monster for driving away his fiancee to the point that when he gets captured by the humans, he began calling Bubblegum and everyone Gunter with PB even proclaiming that the Ice King himself has lost the will to live.
- Face Death with Dignity: According to Sifine, her husband along with the other members of the Frostkin chose to die peacefully instead of trying to fight for the climate change and the diseases they are currently suffering from.
- Fantastic Racism: Both Damon and Barton shows incredible hatred towards all the creatures in Ooo but while the former did not attempt to hide this, the latter tries to get on their good graces and generally acting polite before he can backstab them. That is until his Villainous Breakdown where he began acting no better than Damon.
- Humans Are Bastards: Most of the characters in Ooo sees the humans as one and considering their leaders, their observation is not far off.
- Human Popsicle: To survive the Mushroom War, a group of humans such as scientists and soldiers has froze themselves solid before ordering their jets to hibernate for one-thousand years until they thaw out.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Sifine manipulates Damon into wearing the crown and then proceed to backstab him by possessing him into killing his girlfriend along with other soldiers, crippling his body as a side effect. Considering that Damon is shown to be a total Jerkass and is far more openly contempt of the creatures in Ooo than Barton, hardly any sympathy can be given to him.
- Mercy Kill: Given the terrible state that Damon is in after Sifine's possession, Simon decides to give him mercy, by killing him with a sword. Finn even lampshades this on how it is mercy with the others sadly confirming that it is actually mercy considering the state he is in.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: By forcefully abducting Betty into the Ark, Damon inadvertently saved her life from the nuclear explosion of Mushroom war and allowed her to reach out to Simon withing his Ice King persona. Simon even acknowledges this trope to him and for that, decides to give him the mercy-killing he deserved.
- Nuke 'em: Reaching the peak of his Villainous Breakdown, Barton eventually decides to fire a nuclear missile right onto Candy Kingdom out of spite. Fortunately, Simon and Betty managed to stop the nuke before that can happen.
- Original Character: All of the surviving humans that appear in the fic.
- O.C. Stand-in: Thanks to the fic being made before we had any idea of what she was like, Betty is this.
- Shout-Out: Upon seeing Damon's crippled state, Simon quotes how they either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
- Villainous Breakdown: When we first see him, General Barton appeared to be reasonable but inwardly plotting to backstab the creatures in Ooo by analyzing their strengths and weaknesses as well as calming an equally racist Damon down whenever he tries to openly attack them. But after he starts getting humiliated by the penguins, he began acting no better than Damon as he ignores the advice from his colonel, ordered his soldiers to execute anyone that is either wounded or diseased and imprisons both his colonel and the other scientists. Barton eventually reached the peak of his breakdown when he launched a nuclear missile right onto Candy Kingdom out of spite which turned all the other surviving humans against him.