He's a rather dark writer who enjoys grinding his characters down to see what's underneath, forcing them into incredibly vital situations when they're not at their best, and making them second-guess themselves and everything that they thought they knew. He also really likes putting a philosophical touch to the narrative, and seems to like getting meta about storytelling itself. For all that, his novels aren't without some trace of hope and light, although the surviving heroes are always incredibly weary by the time they're over.
He's also really good at writing action sequences.
- Heroes Die
- Blade of Tyshalle
- Caine Black Knife
- Caine's Law
- "In the Sorrows" (a short story)
Star Wars Novels
- Traitor (New Jedi Order)
- Shatterpoint (Clone Wars era)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novelization
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
- "Equipment" (a short story included in the Shatterpoint paperback)
- God of War novelisation, with Robert E. Vardeman
- Test of Metal: A Planeswalker Novel (a Magic: The Gathering) novel
- "Br'er Robert"
- "The Persian, the Coon, and the Bullets"
- "South Loop Whipsaw"