Dev Patel (born 23 April 1990 in Harrow, London) is an English actor of Indian descent.
- Skins (2007 — 2008) as Anwar Kharral
- Slumdog Millionaire (2008) as Jamal Malik
- The Last Airbender (2010) as Zuko
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2012) as Sonny Kapoor
- The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)
- The Newsroom (2012 — 2014) as Neal Sampat
- Chappie (2015) as Deon Wilson
- Only Yesterday (2016 English dub) as Toshio (voice)
- Lion (2016) as Saroo Brierley note
- Hotel Mumbai (2019) as Arjun
- Modern Love (2019) as Joshua (episode: "When Cupid is a Prying Journalist").
- The Personal History Of David Copperfield (2020) as David Copperfield
- The Green Knight (2021) as Sir Gawain
He provides examples of:
- Black Vikings: In The Personal History Of David Copperfield, he's just one of many actors of colour appearing in the adaptation of a novel about Victorian England. Partially justified by the movie's overall theatrical style - in theatre, colorblind casting is par for the course.
- Child Prodigy: Even in his first attempts at acting in high school productions he supposedly showed remarkable talent. Years later, his acting skills earned him an Oscar nomination.
- He's All Grown Up: People knowing him as a gangly teenager were pleasantly surprised by his post-Lion looks. That is not to say he didn't have horny fangirls before, but if this article is to be believed, they certainly weren't this numerous. Or horny.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Post-Lion, he doesn't cut his hair as short as he used to, although their exact length is highly variable. Either way, there's no doubt he looks quite fetching with longer hair.
- Took the Bad Film Seriously: In The Last Airbender. Your mileage may vary on the success of his endeavor, but he's undoubtedly the only member of the main cast with an ounce of acting talent.