Dev Patel (born 23 April 1990 in Harrow, London) is an English actor of Indian descent.
Patel is perhaps best known for his role as Jamal Malik in the film Slumdog Millionaire, which won the Best Picture Oscar in 2009. Prior to Slumdog Millionaire, he also starred as Anwar Kharral on the teen drama Skins, alongside Nicholas Hoult and Hannah Murray in the series' first generation of characters.
- Skins (2007 — 2008) as Anwar Kharral
- Slumdog Millionaire (2008) as Jamal Malik
- The Last Airbender (2010) as Zuko
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2012) as Sonny Kapoor
- The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)
- The Newsroom (2012 — 2014) as Neal Sampat
- The Man Who Knew Infinity (2015) as Srinivasa Ramanujan
- Chappie (2015) as Deon Wilson
- Only Yesterday (2016 English dub) as Toshio (voice)
- Lion (2016) as Saroo Brierley note
- Hotel Mumbai (2019) as Arjun
- Modern Love (2019) as Joshua (episode: "When Cupid is a Prying Journalist").
- The Personal History of David Copperfield (2020) as David Copperfield
- The Green Knight (2021) as Sir Gawain
He provides examples of:
- Black Vikings:
- In The Personal History of David Copperfield, he's just one of many actors of colour appearing in the adaptation of a novel about Victorian England. Partially justified by the movie's overall theatrical style - in theatre, colorblind casting is par for the course.
- Then there's The Green Knight, which again looks highly experimental and not actually set in medieval England, or even a Standard Fantasy Setting.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Post-Lion, he doesn't cut his hair as short as he used to, although their exact length is highly variable.
- Old Shame: Patel has gone on record apologizing to fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender for how the live-action film turned out. He has also expressed how the experience in the movie turned him off work on mainstream Hollywood productions.