Through the wind and hail
Setting sail into the world"
Modern Love is a 2019 Romantic Comedy Anthology on Amazon Prime, adapted for television by John Carney from essays in the "Modern Love" column of the New York Times. Boasting a star-studded cast, including the likes of Anne Hathaway, Tina Fey, John Slattery, Dev Patel, Cristin Milioti, Olivia Cooke, Andrew Scott, Sofia Boutella, and John Gallagher Jr., the series explores many forms of love through various stories set in New York City.
The show premiered on October 18, 2019. On October 24, 2019, the series was renewed for a second season, which premiered on August 13, 2021.
Please put episode-specific tropes on the Recap page for the series and keep general tropes on this page.
Tropes that apply to the entire series:
- Based on a True Story: The episodes are fictional retellings of essays in the New York Times.
- Big Applesauce: Each episode of the first season (and half of the second season) explores a type of love in New York City.
- Genre Anthology: Explores different types of love in the modern day. The episodes are standalone except for a short segment in the first season finale.
- One Degree of Separation: Downplayed, but in the first season finale many of the characters pass each other on the street.
- One Steve Limit: Averted, both Maggie's daughter in "When the Doorman is Your Main Man" and the protagonist of "Rallying to Keep the Game Alive" are named Sarah.
- Romantic Comedy: Many of the stories are lighthearted and focus on romance.